FS 700 or PMW 200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS 700 or PMW 200

I have a small but growing wedding videography business using 2-3 EX1r's. I would love to add the FS 700 but have been dissuaded by the reality of my fast action work. I demand good image quality, including sharp focus. Under ideal circumstances I would simply use both but one of my EX1's needs replacement. I need a replacement not an addition. I love the image quality that I am seeing with the PMW 200 but there is the massive DOF. On the other hand I am not particularly impressed with the image quality that I have sometimes seen with the FS 700 but the "look" is exceptional. I can achieve decent DOF at times with the EX1r but nothing like the FS 700. My question is this: Can the FS 700 be used as a stand alone main cam for wedding shoots when sharp focus is critical and has to be achieved quickly, for example during a processional when I may change the framing/settings quickly. I can't always rely on my other cameras when working alone. Also, how will the FS 700 hold up to conversion to Cineform intermediate? I'm leaning toward the PMW 200 but would like to be persuaded.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FS 700 or PMW 200

The EX1/200 are much different animals operational wise in comparison to the FS700.

Lenses that have a similar level of function are much more expensive than the camera body itself. You can get great shots with the FS700 in a fast moving environment. It is more challenging to do it than with a EX1/200.

To know for sure you would be well served to rent a FS700 for a few days and give it a test drive.
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mervin i have in the last few months changed from my EX1RS to FS700 i was going to buy PMW200s until i went to a video show were they had both cams, after i lot of thinking i decided on FS700 . i have filmed weddings for 30 years so i do have some idea of what its all about. Recently when i have done wedding fares prospective bride and grooms ask me do you do that sort of filming were something people etc are very sharp in focus and the background is fuzzy because it looks so cool. Well like you i could get a reasanable dof with my ex1rs but no were near what i get from my fs700. I have about 5 lenses none of them expensive just got power zoom 18-200 thats the one i will use most but for fancy stuff Samyang 35mm prime & Tamron 24-70 is lenses. The variation i get from those three lenses is imense my videos are 10 times better now for me it was a very good move and i would not go back to ex1rs or 200s it took me quite a while to get used to it but i love it , hope i have given you some food for thaught. Thanks Wilf.
Wilf Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #4
New Boot

I use the FS700 with the LA-EA2 adapter for alpha lenses for quick and accurate auto focus. The Zeiss SAL 24-70 f2.8 is completely silent when focusing, sharp, extremely fast and accurate. A fantastic lense for weddings and likewise on the fly situations. When combined with the slow mo it's a customers dream come true.

When Autofocus is turned on it is fixed at f3.5. but that hasnt been an issue even indoors. I also use to Sony A mount Tokina 11-16 2.8 which does the same phase detection and fixed 3.5 f stop but makes audible noise when doing so. That also has not been a problem as I use that mainly on the dance floor when theres a lot of noise going on, so the mic does not pick it up.
James Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the great advice. I am considering this lens: 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens | Sony Alpha NEX Lens| SELP18200 | Sony USA instead of the stock lens. Would I be able to use the servo? How would this fare in a wedding setting?
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It doesn't show as compatible with the FS700 on the website.
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
New Boot

I could be wrong but that says Alpha which would be A mount. You would need the LA-EA1 or 2 adapter for it because the camera is E mount, but even with the firmware update I do not think the servo would control it through an adapter.
James Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The SELP18200 is E Mount. The product number S for Sony, E for E mount (would be A for an Alpha lens) L is form zoom I believe with M being a prime and then P for power zoom.

Both the PMW-200 and FS700 are great cameras, but they are very different. For fast moving situations the PMW-200 will in most cases be simpler and easier to use, especially when it comes to zoom and focus. The FS700 will perform better in low light (particularly when you use a fast lens, which the kit lens is not). The look from the FS700 is more film like than the PMW-200 and that may be desirable. If you are a reasonably skilled and competent camera operator you should have no problem with the FS700, but for a less skilled or inexperienced operator the FS700 may prove difficult and frustrating which may result in it not getting used or poor results. Working with the FS700 is hard work compared to the PMW-200 but when you get it right the end results are worth the extra effort.
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Alister As you know i realy baught my FS700 on your advice, some months down the line especialy after getting my SELP 18-200 power zoom lens i definatly made the right choice. Without going on to much basicaly what i think it has over 200 is the ability to use different lenses that are not expensive but make a massive differance to the picture,slow mo etc is just a bonus.It did take me quite a while to suss out the best way to use it but now i find it not much differant in ease of use to my EX1R. For me personaly it was a very good choice. Thanks Wilf
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I greatly appreciate the advice. I agree with Wilf and I want to take my work in a new direction. I am a good learner but I lack money so one lens right now is all I would be able to afford. The question is, will the kit lens offer at least the low light ability and the sharpness of the EX1r? Is there an alternative that would offer that for me?. I understand focus is difficult with the kit lens but it seems I could rely on one touch auto?
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mervin Don't get it with the stock lens i have spent months playing testing practicing spent quite a lot of money on lenses after all my time and effort definate conclusion two lenses the new power zoom 18-200 it will get most of what you want second lens tamron 24-70 image staybalization for low lite stuff and fancy pulling focus etc with these two lenses you can cover just about anything honest Thanks wilf.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Although you are asking about the FS700 I used a FS100 with a EX1 for weddings last year and they performed really well together. With the kit lens the FS100 was surprisingly versatile and the AF and IS are insanely good (the best I've ever seen). If you want to get more creative there are a bundle of other lenses you can use. I've got quite a collection now after adding some PK and Sony E lenses to my existing Canon EF ones. You can pick up some of the older lenses for a real bargain so you really do not need to spend a fortune.

This year I'm planning to use a combination of FS100, FS700 and PMW200's. All are great cameras and you really can't go wrong with any of them. The PMW200 is easier to pick up and use obviously, but the AF and IS are nowhere near as good (as the FS100 with 18-200 kit lens). In low light I've found the PMW200 fairly close to the FS's 18-200, but not as good if you are using faster lenses. I've actually found it relatively easy to match the images from all of the cameras - I don't have an exact method and the FS image look will change depending on what lens you are using, but I have found it way easier than matching to Canon HDSLR footage. I shot a wedding last weekend and used Alister Chapman's ASIA PP on the PMW200 and PP5 on the FS100 and they looked close enough for me.

If you have a EX1/R's then I think you'd find that the FS700 compliments them quite nicely. Just IMO of course, but I hope this helps.

Cheers, Simon
Simon Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Is the resolution as good on the FS 700 with the kit lens, as it is on the PMW 200? Is it truly 1,000 lines of H resolution?
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The WA image isn't as crisp looking on the FS700 with the kit lens as it is on the PMW200 but to my eye it is close enough, although admittedly I'm really not a pixel peeper so it may or may not hit 1000 lines of resolution.

As always the best way to see if you like it is to hire it out. The FS100 / FS700 take a bit of getting used to handheld, but once you get the knack of it and especially with an IS lens you can get some great results. I use the FS's for most of the handheld portions of my wedding shoots at 50p and then I can either use the footage at normal speed or slow motion. They have replaced my 7D's for that role, while the PMW200 is more of a fixed position camera.
Simon Spear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta