Fs700 user's opinions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old April 20th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fs700 user's opinions

Aside from my other thread, I just wanted to ask how you all are enjoying your FS700!

I had my heart set on the C100, owning both 5Ds and a lot of glass, it made sense to me. I love the look of the footage, the form factor, and the compatibility.

But I can't get over the lack of Slow mo. I know it's not something I will use a ton, but it will set things apart in the right situations. That's when I started falling in love with the FS700. I've seen more than enough amazing footage to make me realize that anyone saying it looks "video-ish" is talking crap. Anyhow, I just wanted to get the feedback from people using it on a daily basis and what your opinions are after using it for a while. (The other great thing is the idea of using 4K in the future with the Odyssey 7Q)

If you have any videos to share, I can't seem to get enough!
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Fs700 user's opinions

Here are my reasons for buying the FS700 as my primary 2D workhorse instead of the C100.
  1. HD-SDI is SO much better than HDMI for professional use
  2. 3G HD-SDI 4:2:2 recording directly to external recorder (we have the Samurai)
  3. Built-in ND filters are ultra-convenient (OK, the C100 also has this)
  4. The Sony E-mount can be adapted to virtually any other mount in history and adapters are cheap
  5. Lots and lots of 1/4" and 3/8" screw mounts
  6. Sony's CineGamma 4 (not quite Canon Log, but still very wide latitude)
  7. Future-proof for 4K with Odyssey 7Q (or Sony's more expensive solutions)
  8. High sensitivity with low noise (haven't compared directly to C100)
  9. On-board backup to 128GB solid state unit (optional item)
  10. Super Slow Motion up to 240fps at 1080p
  11. The SpeedBooster is an option for Canon EF (and other) lenses
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Lots of pros - and Tim touched on many of them already. I love the camera, but as with any piece of equipment, there are some things I'd change. But first, the good stuff Tim didn't mention...

1) CineGamma 2. Not as flat as CineGamma 4, but it works pretty well right out of the camera, and enables you to just use your footage without much serious grading. If I'm in a rush with post, I often just shoot with CG 2.

2) You can match the gamma characteristics of the F3 (without SLOG), and, with a little attention to detail, it actually cuts pretty well with the EX1/3 cams as well. I think the FS700 handles colors in a typical Sony way, and for anyone invested in other models, this camera fits in the lineup nicely.

3) Simultaneous HDMI/SDI outputs allows for external 4:2:2 recording along with outboard monitoring without any looping needed. As Tim mentioned, HD-SDI is absolutely superior to HDMI in pro applications.

4) Consider that the C100 does not even go to 60fps. If you never need slo mo, then I guess it's not a big deal. Personally, I consider maximum FPS of 30 a non-starter anymore. All new cameras that cost over a couple thousand dollars need to do at least 60.

5) Maybe it's just me (since I don't hear a lot of people complaining about it), but the crazy contraption Canon has configured for the XLR inputs on their C cameras is just plain dumb. The built-in XLR inputs on the FS700 are much more solid and reliable.

Now, for the issues I take with the FS700...

For one, I'd put the white balance button in the right place. It's also far too easy to accidentally put the ISO into auto mode.

In a similar vein, about 1/5 of the time I go to pick up the camera by the handle, I accidentally switch it into photo mode. A minor annoyance, but I'm questioning why the camera even has that stupid mode at all?

A proper viewfinder would be sensible - even if it was an add-on option.

I'm also dubious about the Speed Booster (although a third-party product) - I only have the one copy, but it doesn't go to infinity focus on ANY of my lenses, even after the ridiculously non-scientific method Metabones proposes to handle the issue on their web site. Customer service with Metabones left a lot to be desired (and sending the adapter back to Hong Kong is cost prohibitive)... But, I'll leave that to another thread on another day. The regular Smart Adapter (Mark II version) works great, though.

With all these caveats, I'm still VERY pleased with the camera, and glad I chose it over the C100. I think the C300 would be better in low light, and in some run-and-gun situations. But, the added value of having the 4K upgradeability along with the SDI and super slo-mo features make the FS700 a better long-term value.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Darling View Post
the added value of having the 4K upgradeability along with the SDI and super slo-mo features make the FS700 a better long-term value.
Been contemplating the 700 for awhile now and that pretty much sums up my thoughts, Eric. This day in age cameras are so "flavor of the month" that finding something that will still have value in 2-3 years is really a challenge. I bought my EX1 in March 2008 and it still gets as much use now as it did then. I can only hope that a camera I purchase today will have that kind of longevity. While the 700 may not have those legs, I do believe the 4K upgrade will help it be viable longer than other camera options out there in this price range.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Major Player

You might find that the EX1 cuts pretty well with the FS700, too. As I said, the two cameras, while totally different in their sensor characteristics, do share that Sony "look" in terms of chroma handling. I have used the two cameras together with much success (even throwing in an F3 here and there). I think the camera makes extra good sense to those already invested with other Sony cameras.

Do consider the extras you'll want. Get the big batteries from Sony - 970s, I believe. Think about your lens options first, your mount options second, and what kind of EVF you're going to get. You will want an EVF and a good mount for it. I'm struggling with an Israeli arm at the moment - looking for something easier to use. There are hidden costs with any camera, and the FS700 is no exception.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta