DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Updated hardware not included in new cameras until late 2013 / early 2014 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/517184-updated-hardware-not-included-new-cameras-until-late-2013-early-2014-a.html)

Andrew Bower June 13th, 2013 01:12 PM

Updated hardware not included in new cameras until late 2013 / early 2014

We have been looking into purchasing an FS700 and inquired whether the hardware upgrade would be included in new cameras.
We were working through Darin at Full Compass and he took the time to work the service center phone system to find someone (Ian) who could give an actual answer.

Here is the message from Darin:

So I just got off the phone with Sony’s tech folks – there are no plans to make the 4k upgrade a “running change” as of now. They are discussing adding the required modifications to ALL new cameras, but if and when this does happen it won’t occur until late 2013/early 2014. Unfortunately you’ll have to pay the $400 and be without the camera to get the 4K capability.

I finally got this answer by calling Sony’s Product Operation Support Center at 800-883-6817, options 2, 5, 2. After a 10 minute hold I left a voicemail and got a callback within 5 minutes. The guy I spoke with, Ian, was very knowledgeable and willing to spend the time.

Not that this is a deal breaker, but it would be nice to get the additional Picture Profiles. I just hate to buy the camera knowing I will have to send it back to the service center and be without it for (possibly) weeks.

BTW - In my quest for info, I first called B&H who simply said all their cameras have the old firmware and never answered my question about new cameras. Then I called Adorama where I couldn't even get someone in the Pro Video department to pick up the phone. We had bought some music related gear from Darin at Full Compass before so I thought I would just check with him. He beat B&H's price for what I was looking to buy and then took the time to research my question. Seriously great customer server from this guy!

Just FYI,

Andrew

Duane Adam July 2nd, 2013 10:41 AM

Re: Updated hardware not included in new cameras until late 2013 / early 2014

FWIW I've received inaccurate information from Sony's service centers in the past. I wouldn't consider this the final word.

Alister Chapman July 2nd, 2013 12:44 PM

I think you'll probably see cameras with the update included well before the end of 2013. Lot's of rumours going around at the moment about the FS700, but I can't say too much as I'm under NDA, but modified cameras are in the pipelines.

Douglas Call July 30th, 2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bower (Post 1800158)
I just hate to buy the camera knowing I will have to send it back to the service center and be without it for (possibly) weeks.

My FS700 took about 5 business days to get the 4K update completed and returned to my house. Not bad at all. They called me for my payment information when they were ready to ship it out. Someone has to be there to sign for it though.