Updated hardware not included in new cameras until late 2013 / early 2014 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old June 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Updated hardware not included in new cameras until late 2013 / early 2014

We have been looking into purchasing an FS700 and inquired whether the hardware upgrade would be included in new cameras.
We were working through Darin at Full Compass and he took the time to work the service center phone system to find someone (Ian) who could give an actual answer.

Here is the message from Darin:

So I just got off the phone with Sony’s tech folks – there are no plans to make the 4k upgrade a “running change” as of now. They are discussing adding the required modifications to ALL new cameras, but if and when this does happen it won’t occur until late 2013/early 2014. Unfortunately you’ll have to pay the $400 and be without the camera to get the 4K capability.

I finally got this answer by calling Sony’s Product Operation Support Center at 800-883-6817, options 2, 5, 2. After a 10 minute hold I left a voicemail and got a callback within 5 minutes. The guy I spoke with, Ian, was very knowledgeable and willing to spend the time.

Not that this is a deal breaker, but it would be nice to get the additional Picture Profiles. I just hate to buy the camera knowing I will have to send it back to the service center and be without it for (possibly) weeks.

BTW - In my quest for info, I first called B&H who simply said all their cameras have the old firmware and never answered my question about new cameras. Then I called Adorama where I couldn't even get someone in the Pro Video department to pick up the phone. We had bought some music related gear from Darin at Full Compass before so I thought I would just check with him. He beat B&H's price for what I was looking to buy and then took the time to research my question. Seriously great customer server from this guy!

Just FYI,

Andrew
Andrew Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Updated hardware not included in new cameras until late 2013 / early 2014

FWIW I've received inaccurate information from Sony's service centers in the past. I wouldn't consider this the final word.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think you'll probably see cameras with the update included well before the end of 2013. Lot's of rumours going around at the moment about the FS700, but I can't say too much as I'm under NDA, but modified cameras are in the pipelines.
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bower View Post
I just hate to buy the camera knowing I will have to send it back to the service center and be without it for (possibly) weeks.
My FS700 took about 5 business days to get the 4K update completed and returned to my house. Not bad at all. They called me for my payment information when they were ready to ship it out. Someone has to be there to sign for it though.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta