Returning Metabones adapter to HK and Custom question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old July 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Returning Metabones adapter to HK and Custom question

I'm returning both the smart and speedbooster adapter to Hong Kong for service and firmware upgrade. Did anyone in the US send back their adapter and were you taxed by customs in Hong Kong? The fedex form is asking the total invoice value but is this info needed if it's returning to the factory for service?
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Returning Metabones adapter to HK and Custom question

Just write "Pro Forma" at the top of the Commercial Invoice and put the actual value of the unit. This just means that it is not a real invoice, but since the commercial invoice is required you have done your due diligence to put the actual value for insurance with Fedex. Also indicate that it is a return for service. The company should give you a RMA number. Print three copies and include in the pouch with your waybill.

You will not be charged any customs because you are the exporter and the product is going back to where it was manufactured in the first place.
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Major Player

ok got it Tim. They didn't give me a RMA # I just sent them an email asking for one. I put $1000 total for both the smart and speedbooster adapter. I received a letter from Fedex today that the amount due is $14.21 for duties, Tax, Custom, other fees with an invoice #. I already sent Global Boom $25 via paypal my guess is this is the balance due. Should I write in the Fedex invoice # on the international air waybill # section on the commercial invoice? thanks again. BTW I just purchased your Editor Essential very practical and inexpensive plug-in. The luma level in Premiere Pro is useless your plug-in has a nice luma and RGBA levels :-)

Last edited by Kajito Nagib; July 29th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hong Kong is a free port with no taxes or duties for most goods (except cigarettes and hard liquor). Camera stuff certainly is not taxed. So it would not have incurred any expenses if it had been shipped by USPS Global Priority Mail. There are no duties and taxes so the $14.21 might be other fees. (FedEx may charge extra for brokerage services.)
Bo-Ming Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Major Player

ok Bo got it thanks!
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Update

The $14.21 from Fedex wasn't for shipping my adapter to Hong Kong but for duties, Tax, Custom to receive my new speedbooster here in the states from HK. No service charge for servicing the two adapters or updating the firmware but delivery cost round trip from the NYC to HK is $130.46. I doubt I'll be using the Zeiss 50mm on my speedbooster again even though I'm not sure if it was the lens that caused the problem in the first place.
All my Canon lenses work fine on the Speedbooster.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta