how much light does slo-mo need at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how much light does slo-mo need

Hey guys, I'm considering this camera. (between this and the C-100) Does this camera need a significant amount of light to get a good looking slow-mo image?
Joe Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: how much light does slo-mo need

If you are going to shoot 240fps versus 24fps you will need 3-4 stops more exposure for the slow-mo stuff. Shooting outdoors during the day isn't a problem at all.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #3
New Boot

Lots of light.
James Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Lots meaning 3-4 stops more over standard 24fps settings. That does assume a 360 degree shutter when shooting 240fps. If you jump to 1/500 on the shutter then it becomes 4-5 stops.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

If you normally shoot with a 1/60th shutter exposure then by default shutter settings (360 degrees) 120fps needs twice as much light (1 stop) and 240fps needs 4 times as much (2 stops).
If you normally shoot with 1/48th shutter exposure then 120fps requires 2.5 times as much light (approx 1 and 1/3 stops) and 240fps requires 5 times as much light (approx 2 and 1/3 stops)
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks everybody!
Joe Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We just shot at 240fps with night vision. Very cool!
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Tourist

I'm planning on buying the fs700 but before I do that, I want to take it out on rent for some tests.

One of the projects I have in mind is a snowboard and ski event. Kinda cliché but it seemed like an ideal opportunity to test those high frame rates. It's an indoor event however. So light will probably cause problems.

Guess I could get rid of some flicker in post with CC time blend, that's not my main concern. I just saw a video of a previous edition on the same location and it really seems dark in there.

What do you guys think?
(not my video)

Would it be possible to do some slo-mo there? I would be using Zeiss CP2's (18mm/T3,6; 50mm/T2,1; 85mm/T2,1).

Thanks!
Nils Dumortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

What sort of mount do the CP2s have? If they have Canon EF mount, then you can use them with the metabones speed booster (apart from the 18mm, which I think will crop the edges a bit) and get an extra stop out of them.

On top of that you can shoot at higher ISOs - up to 3200 I've found is fine with the FS700, with no appreacable increase in noise (relative to the extra noise you get shooting slowmo anyway).

Beware you'll get extra aliasing when shooting slowmo as well - becuase of the way the chip works in slowmo.
Colin Elves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Also that reference video doesn't make it look like the place is especially dark.

I think the people that shot it a) had crappy lenses (it looks like the shot of the 550D had an aperture of f6.3) b) didn't know how to expose and white balance properly (the snow was yellow) and c) they gave it a crappy grade with a dodgy vignette. In other words, you can't really tell what the lighting conditions were like there.
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Tourist

Thanks, Colin!

The CP2's have PL mount, so no speedbooster for now, but that's the first thing I'll get when I buy the FS700.

I think l will just give it a shot. The rental period is four days, so I'll have plenty of time to experiment.
Nils Dumortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Just FYI, CP2 lenses have interchangeable mounts. If you're renting, perhaps they can swap them out for you...
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Yeah, they're supposed to have universal mounts, so you could ask for them to be changed, or see if they have a set of Canon CN-E cinema lenses as an alternate - they're all full frame and faster than the CPs as I recall.
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Major Player

Does the FS700 have a way to automatically boost gain as it goes into super slow motion recording?
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Major Player

You better try to avoid using gain in slomo. It is okay to use gain in normal frame rates, but in slomo the footage becomes noisy much sooner. At 0 gain the picture is pretty clean, but even then the camera is not as clean as in normal shooting mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta