FS700 4K raw sample footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

FS700 4K raw sample footage.

I've posted a 4K clip on YouTube shot with the FS700 and IFR5/R5.

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: FS700 4K raw sample footage.

I'm watching in "Original" quality level on my iMac 27" (2560 x 1440) and it looks great. I'm impressed that the stock lens looks so good at 4K.
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Downloaded the MPEG-DASH and converted that to MP4 to view in Vegas at 100% crop, and I'm surprised by the quality at full telephoto. (I'm assuming that's what the train footage was)

I think the upgrade is worth it, but only if there is XAVC support. (in the very least, XAVC-S support)

Like I mentioned on the other thread, you do not have to redesign the body much to use a UHS-II SDXC card, nor do you have to do much to switch to a faster FMU unit that can handle XAVC-S. (basically, just use USB 3.0) A delay for XAVC-S would have been worth it for the FS700R. Even though with XAVC-S you're limited to 16:9 and 3840 instead of 4096, I find that a nice compromise for onboard 4K recording.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Trustee

It seems to me that so far the verdict is that 4K Raw out of the FS700 is pretty great but for those of us who expect 4K RAW to be a real stretch on many shows we are all waiting to see what kind of trick the Odyssey can pull out of its hat for compressing 4K and downconverting to HD . Likewise the Odyssey HD downconvert is the only way the sLog 2 on the FS700 becomes very useable as otherwise you need to record 8bit internally.

- Am I right about that?
I'm trying to gage if and when to sell an F3 and switch to an FS700.

- What do you guys think about recording sLog2 in 8bit to a Samurai? The signak is 8bit , but it does help to record in 10 bit anyway doesn't it?

- Related question - How is green screen from an FS700 to Samurai - again 8 bit but at least its 422?

On another forum Dan Keaton said they are working hard on the downconvert issues but declined to say for sure when it would be ready. Admirably honest but I don't want to buy on the assumption that it will work.

Alistair I asked some of these questions on your forum but cannot for the life of me find them again. I apologize if you've already answered them.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The Odyssey cannot accept 4K RAW cause Sony won't allow it. It can accept 4K uncompressed, but getting that out of a single SDI cable would require the non-standard 6G-SDI from the Blackmagic 4K camera. The F5 or F55 however have 4 3G-SDI outputs and can transmit that at up to 60p.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta