DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   How to make individual files from the single AVCHD file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/519084-how-make-individual-files-single-avchd-file.html)

Kent Beeson September 21st, 2013 07:19 PM

How to make individual files from the single AVCHD file

Shot on SONY FS700, using Adobe Premiere Pro CC - I know I edit the AVCHD files natively - BUT is there any way WITHOUT transcoding each file (say using FCP7 log and transfer or something) that I can make each individual file its own file separate from the single AVCHD file? I need to put each one of three interviews in their own folder preferably as per a producer request. Or do I have to transcode them to make them separate files.

Thanks

K

Christopher Young September 22nd, 2013 02:12 AM

Re: How to make individual files from the single AVCHD file

Yes I have often have a similar situation. I use AWPro Client where once I have sorted out the clips into their respective interview groups I batch convert each group. I seem to remember it cost about $25.00 which is nothing cosidering what AWPro can offer in workflow efficiency.

Once you have your groups of interviews selected you drop them into Client and select your output location and your codec choice. Prores, DnXHD, DVC pro HD, Sony XDCam HD plus a number of output options along with bitrate choices.

Check it out:

HDCINEMATICS

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

EDIT:

Sorry misread your post. Without transcoding? In a 25 minute interview you would end up with about three clips. Two clips of approx ten minutes and one of about five minutes. I would be inclined to sort out which clips belong to which interview and then transfer the first interview clips to a new card and import them corrctly. That should create a single AVC clip of that interview without transcoding. Then repeat the process for each group of clips for each interview. Bit of mucking about but it could be a workaround for you.

Kent Beeson September 22nd, 2013 08:53 AM

Thanks for thoughts

I'm on Mac so that Client software won't work. So I noticed if I open the avchd file from the Sony fs700
And go down to the stream part of the file I can see each clip but they seem to have 2-4 other associated files with them

Which files should I drag with which files (if it's even ok go do this) to separate each individual clip with maintaining correct file structure so premiere pro will still be able to read it

I just want to create three new folders for the three interviews from the one avchd file if this is possible

Dmitri Zigany September 22nd, 2013 09:36 AM

. . . deleted post (didn't read question properly before replying) ;)

Tim Dashwood September 22nd, 2013 12:35 PM

FYI (Mac OS X 10.7 or newer), in the Finder if you CTRL-Click on the PRIVATE "file" and select "Show package contents" you can dig back into it as if it was a folder. Do the same with the AVCHD and BDMV "files" inside (which are actually folders) to access the STREAM folder with the individual MTS clips.

I use Clipwrap to make new Quicktime wrapped H264 files from the original AVCHD (no transcoding) that you can provide to clients for use without special handling.

Ron Evans September 22nd, 2013 04:19 PM

Not sure about the FS700 but all my other Sony AVCHD cams have an edit function and you should be able to use this to split clips in the FS700 itself. Then just use these split files.

Ron Evans

Gary Huff September 22nd, 2013 09:39 PM

ClipWrap in the Mac App Store.

Eric Darling September 22nd, 2013 10:46 PM

Another vote for Clipwrap. It goes very quickly if you are just re-wrapping the files in QuickTime (rather than converting to ProRes or something else). The newest features on the software allow you to preserve original file date/time info and to add Reel metadata info for grouping in your NLE.

Kent Beeson September 23rd, 2013 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info - I did find the STREAM file, so can and DO I rename all clips in this folder and can I then drag these individual clips into new folders? If so, which files must I drag with each clip? Here's what I see: (see pic at bottom)

OR, is it impossible or bad to put into new folders because PP CC can't then read the clips if they're out of the AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM file structure?

Clipwrap yes, but just wondering if you have to do that, or can you just drag clips from the STREAM folder into new places? Probably not because of the structure needed?

Eric Darling September 23rd, 2013 01:54 PM

You can just drop the MTS clips directly on the timeline in Premiere Pro. They also play back OK in VLC, if you're just previewing. I use them as source files inside Episode Pro from time to time also (although you must specify the frame rate for them to render properly).

Ron Evans September 23rd, 2013 02:18 PM

Just checked in the manual and on page 76 it describes how to divide a clip. You could do all your edits in camera this way and get clips of exactly the length you need. I would back them up first and then do the divide edits. Then you can import these shortened clips into any program you want to use to edit. This appears to be the same as all the Sony AVCHD cameras I have NX5U, XR500, CX700, NX30U.

Ron Evans

Kent Beeson September 23rd, 2013 02:19 PM

Thanks - yes I know I can use natively in PP CC but how if at all to drag them individually in another folder without Clipwrap -

Eric Darling September 23rd, 2013 03:13 PM

Right-click on the Private archive, choose "Show Package Contents." Then the AVCHD archive, choose "Show Package Contents." Keep doing that until you find the STREAM folder. Drag the MTS clips out to another drive. Use those clips in Premeire Pro. Nothing more complicated about it than that, mate.

Christopher Young September 23rd, 2013 07:21 PM

Yes you can just drag the MTS clips straight onto the timeline. The problem I find with this is if your interview spans clip boundaries there are often audio problems where the clips join, sometimes as long as twelve frames.

Re Clipwrap I find it great but if you want to carry timecode across then you have an issues as to the best of my knowledge MP4 won't carry TC. No TC required then it could be the answer.

Must check out this clip splitting in the camera, fascinated!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Ron Evans September 23rd, 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1814257)
Must check out this clip splitting in the camera, fascinated!

I shoot theatre with my NX5U, XR500, CX700 and NX30U. A lot of the time the XR500 and/or CX700 is started 15 mins before show and then left running unattended until the end perhaps 2 hours and 45 mins. Before transfer to the PC I divide what is viewed by the camera as one clip into 5 defining the period before the show starts, Act 1, the interval, Act 2 and then the period after the show before I get to stop the camera and switch off. I only then transfer the Act1 and Act 2 to the PC. Timecode is preserved as for a normal clip and they show up in Sony transfer software as separate clips so I know to transfer clip 2 and 4 to the PC. Clip divide is almost instant.

I am sure the FS700 is no different than all the other Sony AVCHD cameras.

Ron Evans

Christopher Young September 24th, 2013 09:01 AM

Spot on. Discovered how to do it on page 76. There it was as large as life "Dividing a movie". Thx for that. I always seem to miss something in the manuals I read.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney