DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Odyssey Battery Bracket now in stock at Westside A V (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/520180-odyssey-battery-bracket-now-stock-westside-v.html)

Olof Ekbergh November 20th, 2013 03:16 PM

Odyssey Battery Bracket now in stock at Westside A V

5 Attachment(s)
This battery bracket for the Odyssey 7Q works with the Sony or Swit batteries for the Sony FS700. It mounts on the back of the Odyssey on either the left or right side and is fully compatible with the West Side AV Odyssey Mounting Bracket. We make the cable the right length for the battery plate mounted as shown, longer cable lengths are available, email us when you order at info@westsideav.com for custom cable lengths. The battery is securely held in the bracket by an east to operate cam.

We also have IDX and AB solutions. But this is very light and compact, and a great way to use your smallest Sony batteries.

It can be ordered now here:
Odyssey Battery Mounting Bracket: Westside A V Studios WEB Store

We have brushed aluminum finish and black painted ones in stock now, and next week will have a batch of black anodized ones back from the anodizer.

Leonard Levy November 22nd, 2013 02:18 AM

Re: Odyssey Battery Bracket now in stock at Westside A V

I'm quite interested in the Odyssey 7Q but I'm concerned about how this thing seems to be powered.
I currently own a Samurai and Atomos has very nicely given us 2 battery plates and an indicateor that tels us when the first has died and switched to the second. That way you will never lose a shot because your battery unexpectedly died.

Is there a readout or warning light on the 7Q so you know when your battery is in trouble. ?

Will you lose a shot if your battery dies whole rolling or will it save what's been recorded thus far/

Lenny

Paul Gale November 22nd, 2013 04:05 AM

What's with that thumb screw? Is it a fixing mechanism holding the battery plate to the monitor or is it a battery retention system (sounds a bit grand maybe!)

Olof Ekbergh November 22nd, 2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1821705)
I'm quite interested in the Odyssey 7Q but I'm concerned about how this thing seems to be powered.
I currently own a Samurai and Atomos has very nicely given us 2 battery plates and an indicateor that tels us when the first has died and switched to the second. That way you will never lose a shot because your battery unexpectedly died.

Is there a readout or warning light on the 7Q so you know when your battery is in trouble. ?

Will you lose a shot if your battery dies whole rolling or will it save what's been recorded thus far/

Lenny

The O7Q has a continuous voltage read out on the upper bar. Future firmware may provide a blinking warning you can program. I have not tried disconnecting the power to see what happens if you loose power, I will ask Dan Keaton how low voltage is handled. The rating on the O7Q is 6.5 to 24v so I don't yet know how it handles battery running low.

Edit:

I got this back from CD just now:

"I believe the unit already has a low voltage warning that is based on the current and amps that is provided to the unit.

We have done many tests here with the Sony 7.4 or 12V L-series camcorder batteries, as well as the CD 4 Cell battery.

As the voltage starts to drop off dramatically the voltage will turn yellow, then when the voltage is becoming dangerous low for recording, it will turn Red and flash a message, warning about the battery. and will lock out recordings, due to the battery maybe to week to provide sufficient power.

We do not have at this time a customizable way of setting the warning, this is something we may consider for the future.

Best Regards

Andy Mangrum"

Olof Ekbergh November 22nd, 2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Gale (Post 1821712)
What's with that thumb screw? Is it a fixing mechanism holding the battery plate to the monitor or is it a battery retention system (sounds a bit grand maybe!)

The "cam" thumb screw is a battery retention cam. It is optional but a very secure way to retain the battery. I have a different battery plate coming in a few weeks that does not need this "cam". Just a ¼ turn and your battery is very secure.

Olof Ekbergh November 22nd, 2013 11:03 AM

I just got this reply from CD about low battery situation:

"I believe the unit already has a low voltage warning that is based on the current and amps that is provided to the unit.

We have done many tests here with the Sony 7.4 or 12V L-series camcorder batteries, as well as the CD 4 Cell battery.

As the voltage starts to drop off dramatically the voltage will turn yellow, then when the voltage is becoming dangerous low for recording, it will turn Red and flash a message, warning about the battery. and will lock out recordings, due to the battery maybe to week to provide sufficient power.

We do not have at this time a customizable way of setting the warning, this is something we may consider for the future.

Best Regards

Andy Mangrum
Technical Support
Convergent Design Inc."

Dave Allen November 26th, 2013 01:06 AM

It's kind of disappointing that the battery plate is sort of bulky and doesn't really allow the battery to power the system in an integrated fashion but requires a dongle and connector. At that point, why bother with a battery on the monitor at all when one can use either a Swit S-8972 Sony style battery with a power output port so it powers both the camera and the monitor, or use a v-mount rail mounted battery.

I like the Ikan D7w system, as the battery locks in place with no tools, its low profile, and it auto-connects the power internally.

Of course, the D7w is no 7Q.

Olof Ekbergh November 26th, 2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1822147)
It's kind of disappointing that the battery plate is sort of bulky and doesn't really allow the battery to power the system in an integrated fashion but requires a dongle and connector. At that point, why bother with a battery on the monitor at all when one can use either a Swit S-8972 Sony style battery with a power output port so it powers both the camera and the monitor, or use a v-mount rail mounted battery.

I like the Ikan D7w system, as the battery locks in place with no tools, its low profile, and it auto-connects the power internally.

Of course, the D7w is no 7Q.

The only way to get power into the Odysseys without voiding the warranty is the proprietary plug. No tools are needed to mount the battery, it just plugs in, the cam screw is an extra precaution that can be used as an option. The plate is as small as is possible given the battery plate size for the Sony batts.

We also have IDX and AB battery solutions on the camera that run the O7Q and the FS700 as well as wireless receiver.

The Swit 8972 does not have the wattage rating to run both the FS700 and the O7Q, we were trying this at first, but it does not work.

There are times it is handy to have integrated power plate for the O7Q keeping the rig as small as possible. We have a C-stand (light stand) fitting and when used on a Cstand or table top, our bracket works as a table top stand as well, it is very convenient to have onboard power. And it is one less cable to disconnect when transporting.

Dave Allen November 26th, 2013 10:20 PM

Well, that is good to know about the Swit.....can two plates be mounted with two lower profile batteries? This would require a Y power cable.

Olof Ekbergh November 27th, 2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1822309)
Well, that is good to know about the Swit.....can two plates be mounted with two lower profile batteries? This would require a Y power cable.

Yes I could make a double plate kit, if you like. I would not use a Y cable I would make a jumper between the plates that you could disconnect. So you could use just one if you wanted too.

I can also use different batteries than the FS700 batts, like Canon SLR batteries. I can fit those to my plate easily. I have a number of other plates in stock as well. I just thought they it made sense to use the FS700 batteries so you only carry one kind in your compact run bag.

Contact me directly if you have a request for a custom plate. Or plate combination.

I also have IDX and AB battery solutions on the camera that run the O7Q and the FS700 as well as wireless receiver.

Sami Sanpakkila March 24th, 2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1822185)

The Swit 8972 does not have the wattage rating to run both the FS700 and the O7Q, we were trying this at first, but it does not work.

Hi Olof,

Mitch Gross has led to believe that the Swit s-8972 should be able to power both FS700 and O7Q giving about 2.5h of operating time. Quote from Mitch "I can't recall the wattage draw of the FS700, but I know it's not huge, maybe 10w. That SWIT battery is 47 watts, so that means it would run it almost 4 hours. The Odyssey7Q draws about 9 watts in most modes (it can pull up to 15w when doing something like high speed), so assuming about 20w combined draw you'd get about 2.5 hours out of that brick."

But I guess you have tried it personally? What exactly happened and how did it not work?