White balancing workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Major Player

White balancing workflow?

Without and with an external monitor, what is your FS700 white balancing workflow? Does switching back and forth between auto and manual change that workflow?
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: White balancing workflow?

I always just balance all cameras to a white card, whenever there is a change in lighting. A monitor or even the built in lcd will tell if you are way off immediately.

To me the 700 is no different than any other camera. I even do this when shooting video with DSLRs. Though DSLRs are more complex to balance.

You can set up A to be with the sun out and B to when it gets cloudy, or inside/outside etc. Then switch between them.

But I white balance every camera the same way, to a card at the same angle to the sun or lights at the beginning of every shoot for every camera on that shoot, if possible in the same exact place. Bear in mind your surroundings, like if you are under a huge green leaf tree and set white balance there then move out from under it the balance will be off. I usually balance where skin tones have to be right.

The only exception is when shooting live shows or theatre. Then usually 3200K is right, though this is one time an external monitor is very important for color.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta