Is it possible to break the E mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Trustee

Is it possible to break the E mount?

A bit of a daft question I know as the answer is obvious. But let me finish ...

I purchased a FD to NEX adapter ... different brands. Some will fit easily, others fit on one camera but not the other EVEN THOUGH ALL THE CAMERAS ARE E-MOUNT.

So in my case, I had a Fotga FD to NEX adapter which had a fantastic solid fit to my FS700, NEX 7 and even fit my friends VG20/VG10 very nice.

Now I have another adapter which doesn't fit so well on my NEX 7 ... I stupidly applied more pressure than I should trying to fit it on. Can't see any damage but it just occured to me that I may have bent some thing on the mount with that sort of pressure that I applied ...

It got me wondering has any one ever broken their e-mount fitting poorly manufactured dumb adapters?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Is it possible to break the E mount?

Hey James

I have a el-cheapo Fotga too and originally it wouldn't fit my camera ..the flanges on the adapter were correctly cast but they powder coat the aluminium so the flanges end up too think .. I just used my wife's emery board to remove the black powder coat and it fits both EA-50's perfectly ...it was just like yours and VERY tight ....I doubt whether have broken anything on the camera ..those machined mounts are super strong!! Check it with an e_mount lens ..if the lens doesn't fall off then all is OK ... I would seriously reduce the thickness of the Fotga flanges so it is a smooth fit on the camera and not too tight ...!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Chris

All my other lenses fit perfectly fine with no movement what so ever. Guess i'm just being paranoid.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey James

My pricey Novoflex adapter is actually a tiny bit sloppy and you have to be careful it doesn't move. I think I prefer the $15 Fotga although I had to use the Emery board a bit, I was able to get what I think is a perfect fit ..tight enough not to move on it's own but not too tight as to damage the e-mount or lens mounts.

Yep, I very much doubt whether you could physically break the e-mount on the camera side ..if anything went bang it would be the little flanges on the adapter so I'm sure you can breathe easy!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Trustee

You say that Chris but i've read stories of heavy lenses (70-200 f2.8 L lenses) breaking the mount off a Canon DSLR so I don't think these mounts are as bullet proof as they seem.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta