NEX-FS700 4K Acquisition - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: NEX-FS700 4K Acquisition

Thanks Dan,

For my purposes (and I'm sure I'm not alone ) the slog3>709 LUT on the F5 seems to be a very popular with clients who want an Alexa-like look without needing to grade from Slog3. If you could marry that to the super clean look that you're getting form the 4K2HD that would be a hilt on the FS7.

Caveat is I'm saying that without having compared how clean the normal output is from the F5/ FS7 with that LUT. I've only compared 4K2HD to my F3 output and it was much cleaner.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Thanks Dan,

For my purposes (and I'm sure I'm not alone ) the slog3>709 LUT on the F5 seems to be a very popular with clients who want an Alexa-like look without needing to grade from Slog3. If you could marry that to the super clean look that you're getting form the 4K2HD that would be a hilt on the FS7.

Caveat is I'm saying that without having compared how clean the normal output is from the F5/ FS7 with that LUT. I've only compared 4K2HD to my F3 output and it was much cleaner.
Dear Lenny,

I am very happy that you like our 4K to HD Apple ProRes 422 HQ mode.

We put a lot of effort in ensuring that the resulting images were very good, including developing state-of-the-art deBayering techniques (for a on-camera, real-time, deBayering process).

And we used very special techniques to properly allocate the 12-Bits from the 4K Raw into the 10-Bit Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

But, I am very surprised to hear that it is cleaner than the F3, which is an exceptionally low-noise camera.

We are looking forward to working with the new Sony FS7. We know that it outputs S-Log 3 instead of S-Log 2 (when specified in a Picture Profile).

At this time, for us to capture Raw from the FS7, one needs the Expansion Pack, which is an extra-cost item, but it adds quite a lot of functionality, such as Timecode In and Out, Genlock, and Reference Out, and professional Power Inputs and Outputs.

We also like that the base FS7 has two HD-SDI outputs, but we do not know all of the necessary details about these outputs yet.

We are very impressed with the FS7 and can't wait to marry our Odyssey7Q + FS700/FS7 option to it.

So far, we know that we need to support S-Log 3 gamma, and we will do so.

Respectfully,
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
For the FS700 in your 4KtoHD mode, what would you estimate the dynamic range of the FS700?
Dear Dmitri,

As far as I know, our team has not performed proper Dynamic Range tests.

We like to leave this for others, as this requires a proper test chart, proper lighting, etc. and the results are always subject to debate (and criticism for not doing it right.)

While we have a DSC ChromoDuMonde chart in our studio testing area, we do not yet have a proper DSC Dynamic Range chart, sorry.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Old September 19th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Trustee

Dan,
I put the FS700 with the 7Q w/4K2HD up against my F3 at Videofax in San Francisco.

I think the F3 puts out a great picture but was astonished to find that the 7Q 4K2HD image with detail turned OFF was as sharp or probably sharper than my F3 with detail where I typically keep it at -17. -17 may sound like very little but it is significant and with detail OFF the F3 goes soft.

So I'm not referring to the noise level (F3 is very quiet) but just the overall sharpness and clarity of the image with no enhancement. Frankly I wasn't used to seeing such a clean (that's the best word I can come up with) image in video. It just made for a more natural image. I assume that's because we were downrezzing from 4K. I imagine it would would uprez back to 4K beautifully.

The negative for me was that most of my clients want go-home pictures and neither Slog2 nor the 800% LUT provide that. I could get 709 into the 7Q but not the cine gammas which I suspect i might like more.
There were other negatives to the FS700 that made me hold off and I'm excited to see that the FS7 may answer a lot of my desires.

Also i didn't compare it to the typical HD output from the F5 so I don't know if that might have an image more comparable to your 4K2HD.

I expect to be getting an F7 and am excited about SLog3 and the Slog3 to 7090LUT as a take hime pic,
The question then will be - will a 7Q 4K2HD look cleaner than the direct HD output of the FS7, and can I get the LUT to record on it.

Time will tell. No question the 7Q is a beautifully designed product.

Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Dan,
I put the FS700 with the 7Q w/4K2HD up against my F3 at Videofax in San Francisco.

I think the F3 puts out a great picture but was astonished to find that the 7Q 4K2HD image with detail turned OFF was as sharp or probably sharper than my F3 with detail where I typically keep it at -17. -17 may sound like very little but it is significant and with detail OFF the F3 goes soft.

Time will tell. No question the 7Q is a beautifully designed product.

Lenny
Dear Lenny,

If you don't mind, I will deviate from my normal, humorless posts.

I love that last sentence of yours!

Please feel free to shout it from the rooftops!

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta