Odysee 7Q vs ATOMOS Shogun? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Odysee 7Q vs ATOMOS Shogun?

Using either FS700 or FS7, which do you think will be the best investment for a couple of years? Odysee 7Q or Shogun? Especially for 4K and high frame rates.

Thanks for any advice.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 02:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Odysee 7Q vs ATOMOS Shogun?

I'd go with the FS7 and Shogun combo if I was you.

I dislike the proprietary stance of the 7Q and their paid upgrades.

The total cost of the Shogun is much lower and I like the attitude of Atomos more. I'll probably get one myself, once it has started shipping and I've seen a few reviews.
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You will have to wait until, supposedly, 1st Quarter of 2015 in order to record CinemaDNG from the Shogun, while the Odyssey will work for you today.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

And the Odyssey will record 4K (UHD) in ProRes something Atomos "wants to do" but do not know if it is possible according to the last I heard. So compressed 4K is a long way off in the Shogun.

I think it is good to have some competition for low cost 4K recorders. But for now the Odyssey is the only one out there. Remember how long it took for CD to get the 4K ProRes going, it is complex.
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
And the Odyssey will record 4K (UHD) in ProRes something Atomos "wants to do" but do not know if it is possible according to the last I heard. So compressed 4K is a long way off in the Shogun.
The Shogun will be able to record ProRes 4K up to 30p via HDMI (if the camera supports it) or 12G SDI (which will require a convertor box for any camera that outputs 4K SDI via 2x 3G-SDI connections.

It will record ProRes 4K from, say, the Sony A7s, which the Odyssey will not be able to do without a convertor box to go from HDMI to dual 3G SDI (like the YAGH for the Panasonic GH4). The Odyssey will also require the YAGH for 4K recording from the GH4, while the Shogun will be able to use a simple microHDMI to HDMI cable, like the great spiraled ones Atomos sells.

However, the FS700 is a unique beast in that it does not output a compatible 4K signal over SDI. The Odyssey is the best unit for this camera for the foreseeable future if you want 4K out of it. The Shogun will only be able to record up to 1080 from the FS700 now, and potentially in the future to CinemaDNG in 4K (similar to the format that the Blackmagic 4K camera shoots to). It may not ever do a 4K raw to ProRes 4K conversion. Depends on the potential of the processor in the hardware.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta