Sony RX10 HD camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old October 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony RX10 HD camera

Sony introduces large-sensor 'high-zoom' Cyber-shot RX10: Digital Photography Review

What do you think for weddings ??
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony RX10 HD camera

nd filter! clickless aperturering! constant f2.8 zoom! :) There is more but that alone is already great.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Major Player

mic and headphone jack and accessory for XLR balanced input, backlit sensor, etc,etc,
My Black Magic pocket goes on sale as soon as I get this.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Looks great for event work. Everything you need for a 3 camera shoot in a backpack!
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Trustee

This looks like a great little camera going on specs, is there any footage online?
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Trustee

and

Old October 17th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The videos are a bit misleading, as if they have something to hide, the first one is not clear if it was all shot on the rx10, my guess is a much higher end camera was used to shoot this, the second video is clear it was rx10 footage but there isn't much variation in footage to have an idea about performance. Will have to wait until the first once are released and some user videos will start to appear I guess.
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Since it uses the same sensor as the RX100M2, should give some pretty impressive results.

There's some DVi user produced footage in one of the Sony sections here from the RX100M2. Of course this is an entirely different camera - sorta like the mutant child of the HX300 and the RX100M2, both of which do a pretty decent job on both stills and video.

I'd expect the larger lens and the f2.8 to mean the camera will do fairly well in low light, the RX100 can manually shift shutter to 30 (from "auto" 60), and it is pretty decent until you zoom in and the lens ramp/aperture closes it down. Even so, adding a small LED and you'd be fine. With constant f2.8, I'd expect few worries.

Not too thrilled with the battery Sony chose, and it's pricey, but still looks like a nice camera - the RX100 and M2 were expensive, but produce really excellent results, if the RX10 follows in those steps, it'll probably be a winner.

One RX10 and a couple of RX100M2's, and you'd have plenty of room left in the backpack for LUNCH! Or maybe a PJ/CX series Handy Cam with magic eyeball for faux stedicam shots!

I think we may be competing for who has the SMALLEST, lightest, fastest "kit"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Noa -
Knowing you're a fan of the "small camera", I think you'll be surprised if you can get your hands on a RX100M2... look at some footage from that camera here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...-railroad.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...re-resort.html

The RX10 will be an extension of the RX100 - and if it lives up to the lineage, it may well be a beast of a camera (better be to justify the asking price!).

About the only "limitation" is that these have a 29 minute clip limit, but I've been dealing with that on other still cameras, it's not a big problem. I still think the active gimbaled stabilizer in the CX/PJ Handy cams will get better "handheld" footage, but having shot with the HX300 at an airshow this weekend along with the RX100M2, I felt like they shot excellent video (and stills too). Didn't feel like I missed anything leaving the dedicated video cams at home, except maybe a little weight.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Is it auto focus on video mode? Or full manual?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Noa -
Knowing you're a fan of the "small camera", I think you'll be surprised if you can get your hands on a RX100M2
I have seen that footage, thing is there always will be something better at the horizon, the rx10 will be a great little camera, I"m sure, but I have already invested in m4/3 camera's and glass and think it will be a better to continue to go down that road, who knows I might get a bmc pocket cam second hand for my personal projects since I"m sure many will sell that cam for this one :)
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I really cannot see anyone who has bought a BMCC swapping it for this.

The BMCC shoots ProRes & soon to be RAW & is an interchangeable lens camera.

The RX10 is a bridge camera with sensor smaller than MFT. It's got a nifty looking fixed F/2.8 aperture lens with a 24-200mm FF equivalent zoom range.

Unless you mean that all the cinematographer wannabes will find the reality of using the BMCC so difficult that they will opt for this.

The RX10 does have some very nice looking features for video (step-less aperture change, ND filters). It's cheaper than a Panasonic G6 plus decent zoom lens & all self-contained so while not exactly cheap I can see shooting a whole wedding with two or three of these providing that low light performance is very good (at least up to 5D2 quality) as because of the fixed lens there is no way to improve on F/2.8. It looks like a better bet for professional video than the Panasonic FZ200 but does cost twice over as much.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The reason why I was joking about other people selling the pcoket cam was that since word got out about the new sony camera already 2 users on this forum said they would be selling for this cam, but let's not start a discussion on that as it was not meant seriously.

You can't compare this camera with the g6, just the fact that you can exchange lenses on the g6 opens a whole other world of possibilities that the rx10 doesn't have, in that respect the rx10 is very limited.
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The RX10 may be limited in some ways but I I only wish that I had a F/2.8 24-200mm FF equivalent lens fitted to my G6. To get the same range on the G6 I would need two lenses & an extra $2000+. On the other hand the G6 with 14-42mm kit lens is half the price of the RX10 but the RX10 does have ND filters

The sensor is smaller than MFT so the DoF won't be as shallow but provided that the low light performance is good then this could have been a nice alternative to the G6 that I purchased to use as a locked off wide camera albeit the G6 with kit lens only cost half the price of the RX10.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Inner Circle

When will this camera hit the streets?
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders