DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/519547-sony-rx10-point-shoot-camera.html)

Darren Levine November 7th, 2013 06:43 PM

Re: Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera

im noticing a heck of a lot more motion macroblocking than usual, wonder if thats a youtube thing

Mark Williams November 7th, 2013 10:14 PM

My experience is it might be a Youtube thing. I notice it when I compare the same high motion video uploaded to my Youtube and Vimeo "plus" account. Big difference in their encoders and maybe bitrate.

Simon Denny November 8th, 2013 03:40 AM

Here is the manual for the RX10. Looks like this is a World camera, Pal/NTSC. Great news.
http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesui...4477083811.pdf

Dave Blackhurst November 8th, 2013 11:51 AM

Not according to page 33... 60 OR 50...

Simon Denny November 8th, 2013 02:47 PM

Yes I did notice this prior to posting but I found on page 28:
PAL/NTSC Selector (only for 1080 50i compatible models)
By changing the TV format of the device, shooting in a different movie format is possible.

I guess this is a world camera for PAL users?

When one arrives into a local camera store I'll check it out

Simon Denny November 8th, 2013 03:51 PM

I also found this info on line for those that are interested.

Help Guide | How to Use

Dave Blackhurst November 8th, 2013 03:53 PM

Well, on the one hand it would be good for "world" shooters, on the other, it means that 29 Minute clip limit would be harder to "ignore" or bypass.

It does appear it is an option in the setup menu, so that's where to look when you get hands on...

Noa Put November 8th, 2013 04:51 PM

I see a iris and a zoom ring, does this camera have a dedicated focus ring or does that only function with touch or auto focus?

Dave Blackhurst November 8th, 2013 07:43 PM

If it's the same as the RX100, ring is assignable to multiple functions, so could be focus, could be zoom, and when called by function buttons, can adjust other settings... plus memory presets with assignable buttons/functions.

One of the things about the RX100 is it takes a while to figure out what does, or can do, what... RX10 should be equally customizable to the users preferences, and equally "fun" to figure out! It's hard to explain, but I definitely had a learning curve with the 100!

Warren Kawamoto November 8th, 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1819963)
I see a iris and a zoom ring, does this camera have a dedicated focus ring or does that only function with touch or auto focus?

From what I've seen, easiest to zoom with the right hand index finger rocker switch, then dedicate the left hand outer ring for manual focus, and the inner ring for iris.

Swen Goebbels November 10th, 2013 12:45 AM

Hope it's a world camera.

I think the Rx100Mk2 US-version can only do 60p. The European version can be switched to 50 or 60p. But I heard something that you can't use the highest AVC bitrate when you switch the European version to 60p. No idea if this is true so I'm confused now. On EOS HD was written that it is a world camera, but this guy tested the camera somewhere in Germany, so it wasn't a USA version.

Can the RX10 do both: 60p 28M(PS)/50p 28M(PS) ? That is the question for me and the reason why I have not pre-orderd it yet. Maybe I have to buy one when I'm back in Germany for Christmas vacation but sure in the US it's cheaper. Would love to know that to do my preorder for this perfect travel camera.

Noa Put November 10th, 2013 01:52 AM

Why preorder? Better wait until it's available and check at the store, this is not a black magic camera, Sony has a bit better controll over their delivery schedule :)

Swen Goebbels November 10th, 2013 10:13 AM

Yes you are right about that. However there is something special about to be one of the first persons who get this camera. I got one of the first Sony Ex1 in Germany for example.

But sure consumer products like this will be available in every store without any problem.

Claire Watson November 10th, 2013 03:46 PM

I just read somewhere the tilting screen cannot be operated with the Sony XLR mic attachment fitted. Just today I saw where the titling screen was lowered, yes it goes down... which makes me think it won't work on a tripod. Hope I'm wrong.

The thing that is worrying me most above all else about this camera which on the surface offers so much, does it have some sort of gamma curve adjustment with knee in the settings? Don't think so from looking at the instructions posted so far.

I am looking in vain for a sample video from the RX10 that doesn't have burnt out highlights in sunny conditions. I downloaded one from Vimeo in the original 1080/P60 format which on Vimeo looked ok and watched it playing in Edius in all it's glory via my Storm 3G hardware (50/60P capable) to a high quality large screen HDTV and the waveform meter confirmed what I thought, the bulk of the sky was at 109IRE and severly clipped.

May be I hope for too much but still hoping, perhaps when the full manual is available more will be revealed.

Ron Evans November 10th, 2013 06:27 PM

All the Sony's I have ever owned over expose in auto. I have all of them in AE shift when I shoot in auto the newer ones at -1.0EV. AVCHD shoots superwhite so will be maxed at around 110 ire. I correct all afterwards in Edius with yuv filter before going to DVD. If the user in this case just pointed the camera and pressed the button it will over expose !! Most of the videos I have seen on the internet are shaky hand held with slow frame rate and shutter !!! There are a few with nice tripod shots though. It will be interesting to see if this sensor is used in a real camcorder version.

Ron Evans