Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera

The big news about this new Sony Cyber-Shot camera is how video-capable it is.

It has:
Fixed 24x200mm constant aperture f2.8 zoom
1080/60P
Built in 3-stop ND filters
Zebra
Peaking
Manual control audio

But the biggest surprise is the 1" sensor is fully scanned for video. No more line skipping. That means far less moire and artifacts.

Sony RX10 Review: Hands-On Preview

"the new BIONZ X processor in the Sony RX10 has a special LSI front-end processing section ideally suited to processing huge amounts of video data on the fly. For the first time (that we're aware of), the RX10's processor clocks the entire 20-megapixel image off the array up to 60 times/second, and then sub-samples (think of it as a special class of signal averaging) the raw image data digitally, to produce the final 1,920 x 1,080 video image. Doing so effectively performs a low-pass filtering operation on the video data, thus greatly reducing the propensity for moiré and false color artifacts."

Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera

Am i see moire and blown hightlights ? (see attachment)

Looking at the general quality of the video samples I see the same "compact camera feel" picture, not very sharp, low dynamic range, and medium level image stabilisation.

This is definitely not a game changer in videography, can't reach even a basic Sony EX1 level.

Some samples (made by cameraholders):
Attached Thumbnails
Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera-rx10.jpg  
Tans Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd wait till someone who can hold the camera still gets their hands on it.... VERY poor handheld camera technique, and that's being generous.

Typically Sony needs a -EV adjustment (will clean up "blown highlights"), there is an adjustable dynamic range available on this camera (presuming it follows the RX100M2). If you don't swing the camera around like a drunken sailor, both the RX100M2 and the HX300 (which seem to both have some "DNA" in this new camera) perform quite well in video mode... giving a reasonably stable handheld image.

It's still very early to know what this camera can do in the right hands... I see lots of potential in a camera Sony clearly aimed to the video market. Considering those tile roof represent the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario for moire, I only saw a couple minor instances on my monitor...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I like the RX100's 1 inch sensors video a lot, in-fact its so good i'm surprised they haven't put it in a Handycam by now and invented a mini VG30.
If they really have improved the moire which was already very low, with that fantastic lens on the RX10 this will be a winner without doubt.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 03:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

my concern is the overheat issue. I used a Nex-5n before, they heat problem is driving me crazy.
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/newreply...te=1&p=1817643

Quote:
The person who record this samples not set the correct camera parameter such as potrait color profile (-3 -3 -3) and the 180° degree shutter. This introduce a moire and scales in rolling shutter.
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tans Mark View Post
This is definitely not a game changer in videography, can't reach even a basic Sony EX1 level.
Just to clarify, you're expecting a point and shoot "pocket" camera to be a game changer in digital cinematography? And be better than a broadcast spec dedicated pro video camera that cost 5x the price?
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

This camera meets a very specific niche market. It is not a point and shoot by any definition (although I'm sure it can do just fine in "auto", if one wanted to pay $1300 for an "auto" camera). FULL manual controls are there (including in video), and it has definite "tuning" towards video.

Plus that's a mighty big "pocket" (or someone's REALLY happy to see you!).... most people seem to be thinking a pair in a backpack would provide a potent amount of both still and video capability (not sure why you'd need two... but...). While the sensor comes up from the RX100M2, which does qualify as a "pocket rocket", that lens is a beast...

I'd expect the video functions to go WAY over the head of the average "still" camera shooter, the RX100 was a bit of a challenge, even knowing what the settings do... takes time to appreciate what a small camera with a relatively large sensor CAN do when handled properly. And at least on the RX100/100M2, it takes a while to figure out how the controls work!

Once a few people who can operate a VIDEO camera properly have a play with this, then we will see what it can really do. It's an entirely new animal, with many "interesting" features - including a processor that supposedly handles 5k data flow off the sensor - makes me wonder if it could be tweaked to produce 4K output with a little work... I'm guessing the bottleneck is the memory throughput.

Probably won't "beat" an EX1, but sure will be easier to carry around, and I wouldn't bet it will be THAT much worse when handled by a pro... Won't be that long, we should know more!
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Almost every sample that could have them has blown highlights. Really ugly sudden blow out. Is this due to the cam recording 109% and then the NLE cutting off highlights, or is it this bad?

Last edited by Philip Lipetz; November 3rd, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Most people who shoot Sony will tell you that they can lean towards overexposure - usually dialing back the EV dial is all that's needed to prevent it.

The RX100M2 uses the same sensor, and I haven't noticed any problems with blown highlights, so it also could be pre-production firmware?

In the end, will have to have release cameras in hand to see for sure, but I doubt that there's a real problem there - I'm quite happy with the results from the 100M2... I don't see Sony screwing this one up, more likely that early reviewers haven't had enough hands on time to get a handle on the camera just yet, especially the video side (presuming they are "still" shooters). Even with "blown highs"/overexposure that are fixable with a turn of a dial, footage looks promising.
Old November 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post

... It's an entirely new animal, with many "interesting" features - including a processor that supposedly handles 5k data flow off the sensor - makes me wonder if it could be tweaked to produce 4K output with a little work... I'm guessing the bottleneck is the memory throughput.
I wonder if the HDMI output could support 4K video. It implies 4K HDMI output but I assume for now that is stills. An external recorder on the HDMI would make a very nice unit.

To add to Dave's comment on over exposure every one of my Sony's over expose in auto. I shoot manual or -2 AE shift with the NX5U, AE shift on all the others from -.2 EV to -.75 EV on the CX700 and NX30U. Also a lot of NLE's will not manage Super white so would clip the highlights . So these sample may have several things working against them.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Austinite

This is going to be great. Can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out. Zebra, three steps of ND, clean HDMI out, clickless aperture, peaking for focus, optional XLR in... It also is half as much as a NEX-EA50 and if you were balking at the EA50 because you don't have lenses... well... the RX10 is your new video camera.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Ron -

The published specs say 4K output for stills (I wonder where the 5K throughput info came from, I've seen it a couple places, and it makes sense with the new Bionz X processor)... but everything about the hardware suggests 4K video should be "possible", if not enabled - I suspect it would take "too much, too fast" memory so they didn't put it in as a feature for this round. I certainly would like to have seen the option available, if only to get a toe or two wet in the 4K pool!

We know it's coming, it's even "here" in some cell/tablet devices... and right around the corner in new Sony camcorders. Honestly, I'm surprised the RX10 doesn't at least have SOME optional capability, but maybe a firmware update or it could be hacked... hmmmm....

It's still a pretty interesting camera with all that it DOES have, I think it'll be a big hit for Sony.
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Encoding from the sensor to XAVCS for instance may need a fan to keep it cool just like the FDR-AX1 or PXW-Z100, bigger battery, like the 970 used in the 4K camcorders and the use of the QXD cards. I do not think that makes a lot of sense but if the output was HDMI 2.0 then an external recorder could record just fine in a larger unit with the power for the encoder etc. Would make a good companion to the FDR-AX1 or the PXW-Z100.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Trustee

Here is another sample that I found online.

Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders