Sony RX10 user experience thread - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #136
Major Player

Re: Sony RX10 user experience thread

Hi guys,

I'm considering getting a Sony RX10 to replace my Canon 550D/T2i but I'm not sure if the quality of the video is better then the 550D?

Would you say the video quality is any better or is worst then a 550D? I'm also considering getting an external recorder so it goes longer then the 29 minute time limit.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #137
Inner Circle

I have used a 550d for about 2 years so it's easy to compare, to answer your question, the videoquality is better then the 550d, there is much more detail and hardly any moire or aliasing. It's also better in low light and less noisy at higher iso's. Ergonomically the rx10 is also a superior camera in every way and it has better internal mikes.

The only thing you need to consider is that you can't get the same shallow dof as your 550d combined with a f1.4 lens since the rx10 has a constant f2.8 lens and a smaller sensor but you can get some very nice looking bokeh if you zoom in.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #138
Major Player

Thanks for the response Noa.

I just watched a couple of your videos you shot on the RX10 that you posted in another thread and it does look great.

Quick questions, Do you think the RX10 would be ok being turned on for an hour and half or would it overheat and turn off? My 550D has only done this a handful of times since I got it in 2010 and Can you use the RX10 while it's plugged in with the AC cable?

Thanks
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #139
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting a Sony RX10 to replace my Canon 550D/T2i but I'm not sure if the quality of the video is better then the 550D?

Would you say the video quality is any better or is worst then a 550D? I'm also considering getting an external recorder so it goes longer then the 29 minute time limit.
Matt, Do you know for a fact the the RX10 will record longer than 29 minutes when recording from the HDMI port on the rx10? I have not been able to find this out, Even Sony can't get the facts straight on this.

I'm very interested about this. I have a RX10 and want to get a Ninja 2 recorder, but I need to know this for a fact,
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Well I just got my answer back from Sony on the recorded time liimit to an external recorder. Here is there response, anyone experience differently? I would sure like to know, sometimes I cant't trust Sony's support people.

Thank you for contacting Sony Alpha Email Response Team.

I understand that you want to know if there is limitation when recording a video using XAVC-S video codec with Clean HDMI Port using External Recorder with Sony RX10 camera. Let me answer this inquiry.

Even you are using an External Recorder for the output of your video, you're still going to have the limitation of 29 minutes time duration, because all Sony camera has that limitation for recording video, unlike Sony Camcoder that can record continuous video.

If you still have some question or inquiry you can always write us back.

Thank you for choosing Sony, have a great day.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #141
Major Player

I believe you have to not record in camera to bypass the limit.
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #142
Regular Crew

Matt, The only way I know how to not record with the RX10 is to put no SD cards in. I wish I knew someone with an Atmos Ninja 2 recorder to test it a few times with no internal SD cards.
Somebody please try if you can and post your results, Thanks in Advance!
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #143
Major Player

Don't you just not press record?
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #144
Regular Crew

Matt,

Yes, that's all you have to do is press record, but if you do that with out any SD cards installed, It gives a message that says No Card! What I don't know is if you have a recorder hooked up to the HDMI port and the HDMI port is set up as active in the camera menu, If, it would still give that error message and if it would record longer than 29 minutes.
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #145
Major Player

Yeah, but when you're recording through HDMI, you don't press record on the camera just on the external device, so it won't get to the in-camera recording limit, right?
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #146
Regular Crew

Well, That's a good point, but, In looking at my menu, you can't set the power saver mode to anything longer than 30 minutes,There is No option to turn the power saver mode off, hence, then when you would press the record button on the external recorder, what ever the power saver mode was set at it would then shut the camera down. Of course with out having the recorder to try it with, this is all speculation at this point.
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #147
Major Player

Oh right, I thought it didn't effect the HDMI output like it doesn't on the A7s, but guess no way to tell without trying.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM   #148
Regular Crew

Ok, I had a real experience with the Cyber-shot technical support dept. today. I spoke with a rep that said you can use the Sony ACW20 A/C Power adapter with the RX10, See Link: AC Adapter for Alpha NEX Cameras - ACPW20 Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

But I'm not going to buy this one as there are all kinds of ACW20 Clones on Ebay and Amazon for $15-$25
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1B22BGMMBV2SAR

According to the Sony Rep, If you plug this in it will give you continuous power, WITHOUT powering the camera down after 30 minutes, EXCEPT, for the possibility of overheating, then it will power down sometime shortly after the Overheat indicator shows on the screen. SOOOoo, I also asked him about using it to record through the HDMI port, He confirmed that it should work, So I think with a Clone ACW20 A/C Adapter, and a Ninja-2 recorder, we can record longer than 30 minutes! The real question seems to be, How long after the 30 minute time before it starts to Overheat. Of course, that depends on the environment of the camera, temperature. I'm going to get one of these cheaper A/C adapters and give it a try in a couple different Envoirments temperature wise and see how it goes. I will post the results here soon.
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #149
Trustee

I have a question with picture profiles. I'm wondering how flat a profile one can use in camera without braking the image when it comes to colour correction.

I have noticed on line that most videos I see are heavy in saturation and the blacks tend to crush. I'm sure I could dial back the saturation, what about the black levels?
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #150
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kolenda View Post
Ok, I had a real experience with the Cyber-shot technical support dept. today. I spoke with a rep that said you can use the Sony ACW20 A/C Power adapter with the RX10, See Link: AC Adapter for Alpha NEX Cameras - ACPW20 Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US I will post the results here soon.
Hey Leon, how'd it go?

Denny, good question, overall I find my images a bit overly saturated, I normally can adjust in post, but would be nice to begin closer to my other cameras. I do have it dialed back a bit, but apparently not enough. It's a C cam so I am not freaked about it, and I really don't spend much time with the camera, so I'll be interested to see what responses your post provokes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders