PDX10 accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 8th, 2003, 11:08 PM   #1
New Boot

PDX10 accessories

Having made my choice of camera (PDX10... thanks for all your advice) can you please give me some advice on "must have", "nice to have" and "dont bother" accessories.

Eg: Wide angle, Tele converter, Polorising filter, spare battery etc

Also are the accessories on the TVR950 the same as for the PDX10?

Cheers!
David Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

Must have- neutral density filter.. (the camera does not have one built in like many Sony's do) Also get the big battery, I think it like the NP-91.. this sucker last a long time when shootin.. its great.. nice to have -would be a wide angle adapter, as the camera lens does not go to wide..

Mike M.
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Wrangler

What he said ;-)

I got the NP-QM91 battery and it does last quite a long time, several hours. I believe this is the biggest one the PDX-10 will take, and it also helps to balance the camera better IMO. Have not run it all the way down yet. I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be anything comparable to the NPF-960 on the VX-2000 which will give you 8 hours though.

An LCD hood is also nice. Sony was offering a free Petrol hood if you did some paperwork as a promotion. I got mine a couple weeks ago and it's nice. Take a look on their broadcast/pro website to see if the promo is still in effect.

Get the widest lens you can. I have a .45x which I like, it cost a bit over $100. The wide lens hood which comes with the camera works like a charm with this adaptor.

Actually I have several different ND filters, you will want a pretty dark one for working in bright sunlight. And you will probably need separate filters for both your wide adaptor and regular lens. If I add the adaptor on top of the ND filter on the camera I get vignetting. So make sure your wide adaptor has front threads for filters; mine uses 49mm filters.

The nice thing is that these 37mm filters and adaptor lenses are pretty inexpensive compared to the 58mm variety used on the PD-150, etc.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #4
New Boot

What wide angle converter are you talking about there?

Guustaaf
Guustaaf Damave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

This was covered pretty thoroughly here
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #6
Wrangler

Sorry, just noticed that thread didn't give the model number of the lens I'm using. On the box it says:

Digital Optics
0.45X
Night Vision High Resolution
Video Recording
Professional Auto Focus
Infrared Compatible
Wide Angle Lens
Super Compact
Titanium Series
item #7401T-37

It also doubles as a macro lens by unscrewing the front element. I got it from Beach Camera in Northern NJ for a little over $100. Possibly not a great deal, but it seems to give nice results. There is a bit of barrel distortion but I don't mind that effect of a curving horizon, and would much prefer the .45x to a .70x since the PDX-10 has a narrow standard lens.

Just yesterday I was in Circuit City, and they had the Sony .70x wide converter with 37mm threads for $40. Seems unlikely that is is the high quality lens mentioned in that other thread, considering the price. But for $40 it might be worth checking out...
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the info Boyd. I must say that my favorite accessory for my PDX10s is the Porta Brace bag model # CS DV3. Having really nice bags like that makes all the difference.

Guustaaf
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Camera Bags

Hi Gustaaf

I am in th market for a case for my PDX10. You recon the Porta Brace bags are good ?

Any other companies making similar stuff for the PDX10?

Have you seen/tried the rain slickers (by Porta Brace)?

Regards

P
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #9
New Boot

Hi Patrick,

The Porta Brace bags are working out really well for me. I haven't tried any other ones. I have seen the rain slickers, but have not tried that either.

Guustaaf
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Rain slicker

I've got the PortaBrace rain slicker for my PDX10. It's a pretty adaptable bit of rag - it has velcro-closed flaps that open up to give access to
1 hot shoe (the one on top of the XLR adapter),
2 the lens-side jackfield,
3 tape loading door,
4 handheld strap, battery (adjustable for that big battery),
5 the focus control switches on the left of the lens,
6 the five aperture/whitebalance/etc swicthes on the rear of the body,
5 and a really effective LCD hood/tunnel arrangement that lets you press all the buttons hidden under the LCD, and also open it so that the light can get in (please tell me why?)

It works with or without either of the standard lens hoods, and works fine with my Sony w/a adapter.

The only downsides I've found are:
1 it looks really silly without the top mounted XLR mike (without the mike and XLR adapter you have a great tent of fabric waving in the wind),
2 I find it awkward to use with my Vinten Pro 5 tripod - the tripod plate and the bottom velcro fastening of the rain slicker somehow don't quite work together without a bit of pushing.

All in all it's very flexible - I use mine as a dust jacket for sandy shots on beaches too. Just a little expensive for its size though (mine cost £120).

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #11
Wrangler

For a bag I'm using a Lowepro Vidcam 5. I've tried several different bags, including a Sony. The PDX-10 is really bigger that one might think when you consider the xlr box, mike, wide angle lens, LCD hood, large battery, bunch of filters, wide lens hood, tapes, etc. All this stuff fits comfortably, but very little room to spare.

This is a very basic and inexpensive soft bag without fancy compartments or padding. But I've been very pleased with its larger brother, a Lowepro Vidcam 6 which I use for my VX-2000 and assorted junk, so this
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Re: Rain slicker

<<<-- Originally posted by Julian Luttrell : I've got the PortaBrace rain slicker for my PDX10. It's a pretty adaptable bit of rag - it has velcro-closed flaps that open up to give access to
1 hot shoe (the one on top of the XLR adapter),
2 the lens-side jackfield,
3 tape loading door,
4 handheld strap, battery (adjustable for that big battery),
5 the focus control switches on the left of the lens,
6 the five aperture/whitebalance/etc swicthes on the rear of the body,

All in all it's very flexible - I use mine as a dust jacket for sandy shots on beaches too. Just a little expensive for its size though (mine cost £120).

Julian -->>>

Hi Julian

Where (in the UK) did you buy the Porta Brace equipment ?

Thanks P
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Buying portabrace in UK

They have a dealer here - Pyser SGI at www.pyser-sgi.com. They carry the whole Portabrace range and more...

They don't put all their products on the web site, so try calling them on 01732 864111.

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey there Rookster...l hope you are going to enjoy your PDX-10
Well l hope you get some wonderful shots in 16:9 of the Sydney Harbour....lol....
Yours truly your DVcam bud.......
P.S Hope the 37mm lens will do the trick...lmao...
Sorry dude....couldnt resist......yep your snigerring PD-150 pal
Yes l know, l am a cheeky bugger aren't l !!!!!!!!!!
Michael De Florio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #15
Wrangler

Century Optics 0.5x problems

Since people have been asking about wide angle adaptors, I thought this might be of interest: http://www.dv.com/forums/showReplies...2&tid=93400014
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion