can someone explain spot focus and spot ae in more detail? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 30th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #16
Major Player

have bluetooth will travel...

I initially thought bluetooth was a gimmik...,

until i heard about the chap who was at the scene of a disaster, took some pix and uploaded to the sony gallery, then phoned some tv stations explaining he was at the scene and would they like to purchase the footage to run as a news item

the point being the photo/video journalist application is immense

wrt to spot functions...,

the main usage i can see here is setting exposure and focus before flying steadicam - saves having to park the rig

the alternative is menu diving with one hand (the wrong one) on a camera free floating in space which is not easy

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #17
Wrangler

Re: kenn - how big is the stylus?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : can you do fast fast rack focus? get it? -->>>

Had the PDX-10 setup yesterday and played a little with this feature. Nothing too serious, but I zoomed in full telephoto on a chain hanging from the ceiling. There was a brick wall about 20' behind the chain.

I did not use a stylus, but just touched the chain with my fingertip on the LCD. Then I touched the wall. And the chain again. It worked fine, but did a bit of hunting before locking in on the chain in the foreground. It didn't seem like a very nice effect to me, looked like autofocus in search of a target. Seems like it's really intended to use before you roll tape, not during.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #18
Major Player

thanks to all for all your replies!

The PDX10 would still be my choice I think if I get a 2nd cam this year - I might wait though given the news in the What's new in DV forum about the announcement for "HDV" standardization between JVC/Canon/Sony.

Boyd, how is the focus ring on the PDX10? Dammit, the stores here don't have models for display yet so I'm dying to get my hands on this thing but asking someone who's actually using it I guess is important too!

Thanks for your help!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Boyd, try putting two objects a few(4-8') feet apart (front to back )and focus between the two pulling from one to the other.I think you went to an extream beyond the capabilities of the camera.
KennJ
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

If canon sit back and watch, then bring out the best what happened with the XM2 its hardly a major jump in technology from the XM1 and the models lower in their range are quite simply boring poor performers.
Phil Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #21
Major Player

New variation - how about mounting a stylus to lcd screen and tracking camera(inside)

Hi everyone.

Still want to get pdx10 users to try something to help me decide on it as an upgrade.

If you mount a stylus to touch against the lcd screen (say using a clip or an elastic band with tension) and put the stylus in the middle of the screen and then proceed to follow a moving object while moving with it (say walking or dollying) - will you hold focus effectively or is there "hunting" due to motion?

Is my crazy question clear?

Can someone try this? I understand that moving shots are tricky with touch focus but wanted somebody to try this to see if focusing while on the move is possible!

thanks!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion