Vertical Smear: sounds like the worst skiing accident ever. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 15th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #31
Major Player

Of course Lee, reducing the amount of light falling on a CCD will allways reduce smear effects, but this is not allways possible if the rest of the scene has to remain visible... But I don't see real vertical smear on yr images, being a vertical line from top to bottom. I think you are just confusing vertical smear and optical diffraction. Diffraction effects occur with strong point sources (sun) and high F-numbers. Setting a higher shutter speed and open the aperture will reduce diffraction. (FYI the 45degree diffraction rays mean that yr cam has a 45 degree/4 blade diafragm system)
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #32
Major Player

Did I mention "vertical" smear on the first pics? :?

BTW, it' not very obvious but you can find the faint vertical line in the second set of the pics. :)

P.S. Thank you for the tip on the 45 degree/4 blade diafragm system. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #33
Major Player

How about this pic? "Vertical" smear and X mark. :)

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/...c/IMGA0152.JPG
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #34
Major Player

Agree Lee, you only mention a "vertical line" in yr second post which is known in the cam world as "vertical smear" and because the whole thread is about (and started about) vertical smear I just "interpreted" your statement. And yes, like Vladmir wrote in his first post I can see "a modest amount of smear" meaning a faint vertical line (=vertical smear) in the first pic.
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #35
Major Player

Vertical smear and diffraction effects can come together...their origin is totally different. For optical diffraction effects see (6 blade diafragm) http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/diffraction.htm
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #36
Major Player

Thank you. :)
Old August 22nd, 2003, 06:41 AM   #37
Wrangler

I have created the "vertical smear" but it has never prevented me from obtaining a shot.

Some 16:9 frame grabs from my PDX10

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=441334

I think low light is a much bigger issue than vertical smear. I shot a wedding on Tuesday of this week with my PDX10 and VX2000 and even though I haven't reviewed the footage I can already tell that I'm going to be none too happy with the PDX10 in the very dim lighting.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion