PDX10 test - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old October 18th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #31
Wrangler

Re: Digital Zoom

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Nunez : The PDX10 has the best digital zoom I have ever used -->>>

See, I told ya so ;-)

With the Sony high-grade 2x telephoto lens the results are phenomenal with a total of 48x zoom.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #32
Trustee

Boyd,

you're absolutely right- the digital zoom is absolutely great- I'm stunned at how Sony pulls off such a clean image- problem is I have an "El Cheapo" Sima 2X lens and it produces too much chromatic abberations and is only sharp at mid center lens-----How good is that Sony lens you have? I had the high grade Sony 1.7X with my GL2 and it was awesome- I couldn;t tell footage shot with it on or off- it was that good- is Sony's 37mm 2X as good as that??
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #33
Wrangler

Let me see about posting some examples when I get a moment free (ha, ha... when would that be? ;-)
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #34
Trustee

Boyd,

I'd really like to see some sample stills with the 2X Sony HG lens- please post when possible.

Much appreciated!!

(Does it vignette at wide setting??)
Old October 18th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #35
New Boot

Yes, Steve, it vignetts at wider, but who care of tele Sony lens at wide? If so, what could we do? It symly overwhelming on screen of 50 ( newest Sony plasma at SONY STYLE store, NY ). No degredation at all!
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #36
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Nunez :Does it vignette at wide setting-->>>

Yes, there is extreme vignetting. Just judging by the viewfinder, you might be able to zoom out 33% from the full telephoto setting. You certainly couldn't even make it to 50%. But it seems like this would be expected from a 2x adaptor...
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #37
Contributor

Digital zoom, very good indeed, because...

> anyone else know how they get such non-interoplated looking
> zoom capabilities?

Simple: it is not all that interpolated, because the megapixel CCD has a lot more pixels than needed for NTSC. Aproximately 50% more. So that would give us how much digital zoom without interpolation? About x1.5 perhaps? Possibly the 14 bit DSP helps too... but I think it is more about resolution.
Old October 19th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #38
Trustee

Ignacio-

excellent answer- that does explain the non-degradation of image quality...like i said before it's almost as good as having a 24X optical zoom.....which actually puts it ahead of the GL2's 20X optical (the GL2 digi zoom degrades image quality instantly)

Thumbs up to the PDX in the digi zoom dept!
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Boyd - a small correction. When using the Sony 2x telephoto conversion lens you still have a 12x optical zoom. I've used the PDX10 with a Canon C8 1.4X teleconverter, and that is indeed full zoom.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion