More Wide Angle Converter Questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Jan, I haven't done a great deal of shooting with it yet. The few minutes of tape that I've run through it have left me very pleased.

Using still photos to judge the quality of the adapter is a fine thing to do, and must be the most accurate way of seeing how good it really is, I guess. I'm no expert, that's for sure. But for my purposes--non-professional, part-time, but nice-quality video--that method of judgement is probably more punitive than I need. So just by shooting some video, so far I'd say that it looks great! I'm extremely happy to have the extra field of view, and don't notice a tremendous amount of dropoff in resolution toward the edges. It's there, I'm know--I just don't think it's noticeable in the average video (not still) shot. Casual viewers don't actively look for that kind of thing, and it's hard to see anyway, as far as I can tell. So I like the Raynox very much.

I like the little plastic case it comes in (better than the soft pouch my last adapter came with). I like the lens caps, especially the front one, which solves my problem of having the Sony cap flapping around. It fits in the Sony's hood well, though I had one problem: I couldn't get the adapter to fit into the wide hood without screwing it into the UV filter ring I had attached to the PDX lens. Maybe if I try harder, I can get it to work (I was perhaps a bit impatient to get it attached on Christmas morning hehe). But attached to the UV ring, it's fine.

I like it a lot. It seems solid and well-built. I'll let you know more, if I manage to get more shot soon. Thanks for asking!
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #47
Trustee

Tom
Cavision have made several changes in their lens since your review. They are made in a different factory alltogether. I think ther're still Chinese though.

Too bad OpTex don't make an adapter for the smaller lenses. I really like mine. It never comes off.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #48
Inner Circle

That's interesting Bryan. I guessed they would change the design of the 0.5X. But I thought they were made in Canada - or at least bought in from Japan. But China? What gives you this idea?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #49
Trustee

The owner of Cavision and his wife (Catherine) came to Canada from China and set up businness in Vancouver, BC, Canada. All of the product that i've seen (matte boxes, boom poles etc) is manufactured in china and assembled in Canada. I have visited their office and bought my matte box last May . While I was ther I mentioned that several people had issues with the lense quality. Catherine mentioned that they had a new design and a new source from the orient. The new source could be Japan but I doubt it.

Catherine and the salesman had mentioned the owner was in China keeping an eye on production. Everything I saw (non optical) looked to be of excellent quality. The owners of Cavision are very serious about a quality product.

My opinion is the non optical stuff is damn good. if i want a lense i'll stay with the people that have a history in optical production.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #50
Major Player

I'm using a Canon WD58 with a pdx10 to good results.

Full zoom through with crisp, even image and very little distortion at focal length extreams. A 37>58mm ring is less than $7 at B&H.

I always use the large battery on the camera and it maintains a fairly good balance, certainly workable. It holds up in 16:9 on projects alongside my Ikegami HL-DV7, clients are pleased, so am I. It's a great palmcorder and the Canon lens is a good compliment.

Best,

John
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Please post a sampleshot of this convertor.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #52
Major Player

Sorry Jan,

I don't have any still ready to post and no free time to cull some, I've been very busy.

If I'm able, I'll post some for you, but I've offered my opinion... I just shot a dueling knights sequence for Medival Times using it.... I use it in as a tool on paying productions on a regular basis without any complaints, only compliments.

Best,

John
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #53
New Boot

Century WA HR65

I just purchased my first PDX10 and the Century WA convertor .65x along with it.

I was very interested in the Canon WD58 as well, but went ahead and spent the extra $ for the Century lens.

That said as soon as the camera comes in later this week I'll grab some images with the adapter on and off as well as 4x3 and 16x9 shots.
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:16 PM   #54
Contributor

Try used

I found this used Sony branded WA adapter a few days ago. It is in bad shape, has some scratches on the front element and some dust on the inside, however these are not very visible when using the adapter and it is MUCH better than any WA adapter I have ever tried yet. Has very little chromatic abberation and focuses well across the whole field. No vignetting in 16x9 or 4x3. Very little internal reflections. Had to buy a 46mm to 47mm adapter ring. I bought it used for about US$20, plus about US$9 for the ring. The model is VCL-0746C. It's only x0.7... but it's good enough to leave on the camera for casual use. Pretty awesome. So my advice is, before commiting to spending big bucks at B&H, go shop around for used stuff, you might find things like this which can make a big difference for your images without leaving such a big hole in your wallet. The front element is strangely concave... I wonder if all the better WA adapters are like that. My previous one is not, at least not on the outside. Anybody knows who might have made this for Sony?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:46 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Yes, concave front elements are indeed unusual in wide-angle converters. I have a Tecpro 0.5s that has just such a front element. It's a two element design and the lens comes apart (unscrews) to leave behing a very powerful (but uncoated) positive element - great for real close-up work at full tele. Just maybe the Sony lens is made by Tecpro?

tom.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:07 AM   #56
Contributor

Interesting, Tom. Does your Tecpro have low internal reflections? Perhaps this is a feature of having a concave front...
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:19 AM   #57
Inner Circle

You mean low flare levels? It's not bad, not bad at all. Of course I always hood it (Cavision 4:3) and try to keep the elements spotless.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Ignacio

Can you upload a demo of a picture made with this Sony lens.
I wish I could see it.
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Did I get the right lens?

I ordered a Tiffen .37mm lens for my PDX10 from B&H. I assume this doesn't pop on the front like the Lens protector hood (not lens cap) but rather screws in on the threads just beyond the circumference of the lens itself.???

Never bought a WA before.

Al
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #60
Inner Circle

yes, it just screws into the zoom's filter threads. But Raynox do make what they call ''snap on'' w/a converters. I was suspicious untill I tried them - they hang on real tight and are so quick to mount/dismount. They look a bit ungainly though, as they have powerful opposing springs in housings set 180 degrees apart.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion