Place of Manufacture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old December 5th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Place of Manufacture

I'm wondering if anyone knows where the Sony PDX10 are made.
I'm from Canada, and I bought a PDX10 from an online shop and it's getting shipped by FEDEX. After talking to customers, if the camera was made outside of north america I have to pay an extra 7% or 9% depending on where the camera was made.

So I'm just trying to prepare myself for the shock. If anyone knows where these cameras are made please tell me.

thanks
Old December 5th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Amir, I just looked at my PDX-10, and it says "Made in Japan" on the bottom. I suspect they all are. I purchased mine from B and H in New York.

I'm a little confused by the question--is this some sort of duty that Canada charges, or Fedex charges, or what? I would have assumed that any extra tariff/duties/taxes would be included in the purchase price.

Which makes me wonder: how they would collect this extra fee? Would Fedex collect it at your door?
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks.

I bought it from dbuys.com. When it gets into Canada it has to clear customs first. At this point they evaluate it and see how much tax the governement should collect.

Usually I have to pay GST (7.5%) and PST (7%). But when I called customs, they tell me if the product was not made in North America you have to pay 7% or 9% Duties depending on the country the camera was made in. By the way the %ages are based on the camera price.

Basically Fedex has my credit card number and they charge my credit card directly.

we'll see how much extra I have to pay.

amir
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

Wouldn't it be better to buy from a Canadian vendor, eh? ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #5
New Boot

Actually I just got the camera and I only paid GST and PST. Which is good. I thought it was a good deal... The package included

+ Sony DSRPDX10
+ 2x titanium telephoto lense
+.45 titanium wideangle lens
+ hardcase
+ 3 filters
+ tripod
+ and lense cleaning kit.

I'm wondering doesn anyone know how good are the titanium lenses. I tried them and they seemed good to my eye... but I'm an amature at best.

amir
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #6
Wrangler

Titanium Lens

No experience with the 2x telephoto (I have the Sony high grade 2x which is excellent, although pricey). But I also have the Titanium .45x lens and like it. Now I haven't done any real tests using resolution charts, but I like the way the image looks outdoors when shooting landscapes. It does feature a fair amount of barrel distortion, but this is probably to be expected with a .45x adaptor and I actually like that effect with a curved horizon in the 16:9 frame. Here are a few examples:

http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/film/20030812/01
http://www.greenmist.com/nature/05
http://www.greenmist.com/nature/08

Congratulations on your new camera, and I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures with it!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion