hot shoe problem....HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #1
New Boot

hot shoe problem....HELP!

Hi all,
I went to connect the hot shoe on my PDX10 today and it wouldn't slide the whole way on. The camera is not recongnizing the XLR inputs as being connected, so something is wrong. I was wondering if someone could take a picture of what the bottom of the hot shoe should look like because it looks as though one of the gold connecters may be bent, and I've never paid attention to how it should look before. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Eric Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Outer Circle

What does the XLRs have to do with the hot-shoe?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #3
New Boot

The XLR adaptor connects to the camera via the hot shoe. No hot shoe = no XLR capability.
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: hot shoe problem....HELP!

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Long : Hi all,
I went to connect the hot shoe on my PDX10 today and it wouldn't slide the whole way on. The camera is not recongnizing the XLR inputs as being connected, so something is wrong. I was wondering if someone could take a picture of what the bottom of the hot shoe should look like because it looks as though one of the gold connecters may be bent, and I've never paid attention to how it should look before. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much! -->>>

Don't worry! :-) Me and others have gone through the same worry! I first also thought, oh my God those connectors! But it is OK!

The problem is that you have to force the connector till it clicks.
else the XLR will not be recognised at all or be temporally recognised. That is even worse. It happened to me and I spoiled a video. The connector lost connection at the most important part: no sound!

The force that is needed, is more as expected and it makes you worry you will destroy the cam. But it does not! Once you know the click and the way it has to be connected, you will not have any problem anymore.

Unfortunately it has grown to be a common learning curve for the PDX10.

Enjoy the good things of this wonderfull camera, which it is!
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #5
New Boot

Turns out the little black slidng door that protects the connectors on the camera part of the hot shoe was bent a little bit, which kept it from allowing the hot shoe to slide on the whole way. After playing around with it for a little while, I ended up just pulling the piece off, so that the connectors are always exposed. I didn't want to do this, but now the hot shoe slides on with ease and my XLRs are usable again. Now I'm back in business!
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This seems to be a common problem - I couldn't understand why the XLR option was not available in the menu at first. I also thought that one of the connectors on the XLR adaptor was bent, but it sounds like that is the intended design.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion