newbie question: pdx10 vs 950 (weight) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

newbie question: pdx10 vs 950 (weight)

Read lots of posts here, great experience. Deciding between pdx10 and 950...my understanding is pdx10 and 950 are pretty much the same thing except some feature difference.
My question is, from specs, I found pdx10 is more than 2 pounds, while 950 is about 1.5 pound, why there is a big weight different? Or I probably make some mistakes on the info I got? If this is true, how do you guys think the handeling differnce it makes?
Thanks a lot.
Love Mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Love,

I have the pdx-10 but not the 950. The difference in weight may be due to the xlr mount on the pdx-10. But you can take off the xlr mount, which I do when carrying it in my side pack. One of the reasons I choose the pdx-10 is its small form factor. It really is quite small when the mount is removed.

Note that the "feature" differences are not insignificant. The one I like best is the 16:9 of the pdx-10. I only shoot in 16:9 now. Looks great on DVDs on a wide screen TV.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I know there are XLR box and mic, but I think the info I read is exclude these, bare camera only (from the user manual, page 250, said "950g, 2lb1oz);, with Batt, XLR, hood and mic, it's 1.4kg/3lb

for 950, the info from here: (785g)

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=98

I wonder what this 165g difference is...pdx does use better material or it's because of DVCAM thing?

Thanks...
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Major Player

The B&H website lists the 950 and PDX10 as weighing 2lbs. 2oz., and 2lbs. 1oz, respectively. I would think it to be the other way around, and I would think that the PDX, together with it's XLR block, would weigh a little bit more than the 950 than that. But this is more like what the difference is, a few ounces, not a half a pound.

With the XLR block on top, the PDX is a bit front/left heavy, when held with one hand, up and through the given strap. A second hand holding near the focus ring helps out with this type of hold. Personally, I think that because the strap is there on the side doesn't mean that that's the best way to hold the cam. In fact, I would altogether remove the strap if it didn't mean breaking out a screwdriver and dismantling the cam just a bit, to do it.
Instead, I cradle the cam, nearer to the front of the bottom of the cam, with my left hand, and I guide, maintain stability, and work the controls at the back of the cam, with my right. Much better. (For me).

In any case, the PDX10, with it's native, if removable, XLR connections, and separate audio channels, and it's excellent 16:9 mode, is the better cam. In my opinion.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Wrangler

There are a variety of differences which might influence the weight of the two cameras. There could be differences in the tape transport since the PDX-10 does DVCAM. The BW viewfinder on the PDX-10 might have a different weight than the 950's color viewfinder. The 950 has a pop-up light but the PDX-10 does not, it has a "dumb" accessory shoe for the XLR box in that location instead. Perhaps there's something different in the construction of the camera bodies? The 950 has some sort of internet capabilities that are not supported by the PDX-10. I believ the 950 is also shipped with a stylus to use with the touch screen. Does the 950 include the wide lens hood? Do both cameras ship with the same batteries?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi there

The 950 only comes with the small lens hood.... which is a pity as it doesn't fit on my wide angle lens....

The apparently have the same batteries supplied though.

I had the same choice to make as LM, and looking back at the two cameras now I've plumped for the 950, I kind of wish I'd got the PDX.... I've since bought a XLR PRO (adds more weight) as the sound without separate good quality mics is mediocre to say the least.

I'd not even considered 16:9 before, and probably won't use it much anyway.. but I do like the way it looks and would certainly like to have had it as a quality option and not a truncated 4:3 option...

If I were to decide again between the two I'd go for the PDX... the lack of decent sound options to me is the biggest draw back of the 950, and one I only really appreciated once I'd bought the camera.

If you are worried about the size and weight the XLR module comes off on the PDX... I would imagine then they handle almost identically...

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

B&H spec make sense...
I'd like to go 16:9, so pxd10 is more likely...thanks a lot to all.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The PDX10 (in the 16:9 mode) has some sort of wide-angle coverage at least. It's like a 950 with a 0.8x converter permanently in place. The 950 on the other hand cries out - and I mean cries out, for a wide-angle converter.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Yep agree entirely with Tom...

My Tecpro 0.5 W/A is now screwed to the front and ready to shoot...

Makes a big difference, I've been trying it out over the last few days... is sharp and does not vignette... Monday out for my first video shoot.

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion