Taking The Plunge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Taking The Plunge

I've had a somehow Hectic/boring week at school and work. Felt like I needed to move forward with my filmaking aspirations. I've got three scripts complete. Materials for my set. an actor, an art director. I've even taken the time to learn a bit about lighting. I completed the research on what camera to buy two months ago. And proceeded to sit on my hands and become distracted. Everything/ everyone was waiting one me to pull the trigger, and I'm dragging along with this little 1chip panna cam. Well, no longer, my friends, I just bought my PDX10 from B&H.
Golly.
This is exactly the same set of circumstance that led me to buy my G-5.
I expect the buyer's remorse to hit in about 5 minutes.

No turning back now...
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2
New Boot

That's great. Look forward to hearing your experiences. I'm planning on shooting a couple of short films in the fall with my TRV950. I had never considered using it for this purpose, but I'm going to give it a try. This forum is a great resource for helping get the most out of your camera.
Steve Sherrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

That's great Michael, we'll look forward to progress reports on your films. No camera is perfect, and a new bigger/better/cheaper/faster/cooler one is always just around the corner. But sometimes you just need to jump into the ocean...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Sounds like you're one to make the most out of this sweet little cam, Michael.
Congratulations and good shooting.
Also, I very much appreciate your Dune tagline.
The Sleeper has awakened, eh?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I should have the cam by tomorrow or the next day. I have two research papers to write this week so I don't know that I'll be spending too much time with it. But I'll have a few days before fall classes start, so maybe I can fool with it then.

I will, of course, make a point to put it through its paces within the first seven days, just to make sure it doesn't have any defects.

All that remains is for me to learn FCP4 and I'll be ready to go.

Michael.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
I expect the buyer's remorse to hit in about 5 minutes.
In my recent purchase of the DVX100A, Barry Green said "Buy the best and you'll only cry once".

I really enjoyed my PDX10 and I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #7
Trustee

You may feel a bit of a pinch when you try to preserve settings you really like but for me, that has been about the only draw back of my PDX10. I shot a wedding 2 weekends ago, first one with this camera and it was just fine in the lower light of the Columbus Museum of Art where the wedding was held.

Yes, there is quite noticable grain and there is quite a bit of color shift from lighting setup to setup but in a situation like this, some of that is expected. Especially the grain. It was quite dark in the room for the ceremony as it was an actual art gallery. No flash, no aux lighting of any kind.

The biggest issues I had were with the DVD creation and not the camera. I'll put the DVD issues on the editing section of the site for the curious. Used Avid XpressPro and while it rocks as an editor, I have found it nearly impossible to get a clean DVD out of the thing. More on the other pages.

Enjoy the camera. I am still experimenting with it but it's been good to me so far. Another wedding or two and the camera, the Avid setup with custom built PC and the DSR11 will all be paid for.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion