? about XLR Adapter on PDX-10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old November 16th, 2004, 03:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Jay Massengill wrote: "...you can get burned if you don't also listen for clipping at the input.....

This is exactly what happened to me. Jay this is the best explanation I have read on this. And explains what happened. I have used audio gear for many years with great success and on the cam got caught big time with severe distortion even though the level controlls appeared to be in the correct range. It took a lot of post production on the audio to retrieve it it to a moderate standard. But as you would know it is never as good trying to recover after a mistake. I now use headphones.
Chris Thiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Location: Bristol UK normally on Overseas Assignment tho' (currently Bangladesh)
You are so right jay and this is something that is so important, yet ignored in the sony user manual.
I learnt so early with my pdx that I have had a partition added just for my headphones!
Cheers all
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Location: Bristol UK normally on Overseas Assignment tho' (currently Bangladesh)
Partion in my camara bag that is!!!!!
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #19
Contributor

Sony has a history of non-accurate audio metering with their pro-audio gear. I have a 10-year old Sony portable professional DAT recorder, and it sometimes pulls off this great trick of not showing clipping when recording, and then when you play back the tape on the same machine you can see that the levels actually hit 0dB. It' a terrible thing! So I wouldn't be surprised if the PDX10's metering is not accurate. Probably some cheap tradeoff in the processing that displays the input level, perhaps it's not sampling the signal often enough or something like that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion