A word on the PDX10 successor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old November 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Major Player

A word on the PDX10 successor.

I love my PDX10, for sure. I understand that most of you dear folks are highly technically competent, you like to ‘manually adjust’; just a perception I get from reading here, I always enjoy visiting, but I guess I’m more of a point and shoot person. I do indeed understand how appalling that is in this gathering…but…my idea of a balanced life is spending 99% of my aesthetically driven karma on the subject, the set, the poetics, what I'm trying to say, and the remaining whatever on the machine and the ‘settings’. Thank you Sony, thank you ever so much for taking care of the settings with the PDX10. I love just pointing and shooting; ‘focusing’ on the subject, not the machine. The PDX10, 16:9 naturally, is quite brilliant in that regard. Everyone around here where I live thinks I’m some kind of brilliant videographer, that I understand cameras and adjust up the yin yang when in fact I’m a half competent photographer story teller with a very fine acquisition device set on auto; the PDX10; most of my stuff is shot with everything on auto, default, whatever…couple of times I adjusted the exposure. I do most everything else in post.

But to get to the point: I am about to make a multimedia production featuring an ancient site that includes frescos and works of art, and I do believe I might just purchase Sony’s new HDR-FX1 for this event. It is possible, reading the specs on this charcoal device, that when I get this new glamorous super slick beast I may not ever use my PDX10 ever again!

I mean, you guys seem hugely savvy; do you think this is a good move, worth the money for a point and shoot person like me?
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #2
Major Player

IF you've never shot anything before give it ago on the pdx10 first.

For one it has balanced audio inputs.

Maybe hire the hdrfx1 and do a shootout tpe situatuion to see if you really like it that much better. Because there are probably gonna be heaps of HDV cams coming out, no doubt the next pdx10 will do HDV.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

John, no need to apologize for using "Auto"--I think the PDX-10 does a fine job, much of the time, all by itself. I tweak a few settings here and there (we all have our pet ideas on that score: mine is that the auto exposure is a tad too bright) and I go manual when it's only really called for. The rest of the time, I just shoot it as the camera sees it, and all is fine. I'm sure I'm not alone. By using the CP menu, I can essentially tweak the settings manually AND have it shoot in Auto.

Unfortunately, I really can't speak to the main question about the HDR-FX1. Haven't even seen one. It sure sounds pretty cool, though. Next time I win the lottery, I'll give it a go...

Chris
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #4
Major Player

John - go for it - by the way look at my location ! I'd love to see it when you bring it to town !
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion