TRV900 -- various questions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM   #76
Inner Circle

I have a Raynox and do not recommend it. There''s vignetting at about 75% and alot of lens flare. Image is also soft when the lens is on.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:22 AM   #77
Inner Circle

That seems a little unfair Ernest, dismissing Raynox out of hand like that. You've not told us which model you bought, or whether it came with 52 mm attachment threads, or what the power is or if you have a filter between lens and zoom. "vignetting at about 75%" doesn't mean much to me.

I've just done a test of the Raynox QC505 for a magazine here in the UK, and I gave the lens my hearty recommendation. I tested it on a PDX10 and an MX300 and its performance is remarkable at the price. It won't suit Jeff (who started this thread) because he's after a zoom-through, but for anyone else it's a steal.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Sorry. You have a point. It's a .66x and it's labelled 3962-789-RAY
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM   #79
Inner Circle

Is that the Raynox 6600PRO? I tested one of these too, with not the slightest sign of vignetting. It was also nearly devoid of barrel distortion and very sharp indeed. But it was not full zoom as the maker warned - past about halfway towards full telephoto the image grew softer and softer. I can live with that - after all, it's a wide-angle converter.

tom.
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #80
Major Player

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and advice. I unfortunately sold my Canon Wide angle lens when I sold my GL2.
I think I might just use the wide angle lens that came with my PD170, I will just get a 52 to 58mm step up ring. Hopefully I won't need wide angle on both cams at the same time!

Thanks again
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #81
New Boot

bad firewire port on trv900

Hi there,

I just got my trv900 off ebay about a week and a half ago and was about to capture a tape I had just finished up with. Hook everything up and ready to go and my powerbook doesnt reconize it at all. Tested it on a friends computer as well, it didnt work there either. In one of the menus when in vtr mode, it says "DV not ready"

Has this happened to anyone before? Is there anywhere I can get more info on this?

Thanks for the help,
-Stephen
Stephen Lemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #82
New Boot

my new trv900

so I just recieved my trv900, it looks brand new feels super tight picture looks awesome and the sound is great. but when recording or playing back footage it has a slight vibration. not sure if its normal to feel this or there is something wrong with the cam. I'm not seeing any vibration on the screen when playing back and all the audio sounds fine. so I dont think anything is rubbing on the inside or thats just the tape I'm feeling on my palm and its ok. I guess I'm asking user of the trv900 or trv950 if they feel a slight vibration or if supposed to be totally smooth. maybe I'm paranoid

NIck
Nick Tsigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #83
New Boot

just to follow up...I changed the tapes and I still feel it. the tapes are a little old, I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it
Nick Tsigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:20 AM   #84
Tourist

Can I capture while TRV900 on AC power?

Hi I am new here and I have searched through but could not find any related topics to my query.

I have observed a very strange scenario, I have a PCMCIA firewire card connected to my PC and linked to my Sony TRV900. When TRV900 was battery operated, my PC and editing software was able to regconise the videocam. However, when TRV900 was on AC power, my PC was not able to regconise the videocam.

As I have lots of tapes I would like to sort out and cut into CD, after some editing of course, I would like to work with the videocam on AC power...

My questions:

1. Is it true that I can only capture my video to PC (via firewire) when TRV900 is battery operated?

2. If #1 is false, then what should I do to get it work?

Thanks & regards.
Jack Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:46 AM   #85
Wrangler

That's an odd one! Unfortunately I don't have a TRV900, and I use Macs. I can say however that my PDX-10 (next generation of the TRV-900) captures fine on both battery and AC power.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any reason why plugging the camera into the AC adaptor would affect firewire. Maybe someone else will have some ideas...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:06 AM   #86
Major Player

Maybe you have a noisy AC outlet or your wiring is not right. Use an outlet checker to make sure it is all right. If you don't have an out let checker, bring it to a friend's house and try it. I assume you have a laptop because of your PCMCIA reference.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:13 PM   #87
Inner Circle

I'm sure Steve's hit it. There should be no difference whatsoever in the way the 900 works, whether it be from batteries or AC mains. Try plugging the AC converter into a different outlet and don't let the black box near your pc.

tom.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
I'm sure Steve's hit it. There should be no difference whatsoever in the way the 900 works, whether it be from batteries or AC mains. Try plugging the AC converter into a different outlet and don't let the black box near your pc.

tom.
Laptops have a UPS built-in, which may be the reason why he isn't noticing anything goofy happening with his laptop. He might buy a UPS for his other things, if the trouble is with line noise.

If none of that helps then the camera has got some screwed up adapter wiring, either in the adapter itself or the camera. I'd try replacing the adapter before servicing the camera.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:50 AM   #89
Wrangler

For that matter, why not just use battery power on the camera when you capture? That's what I do - it's a good way to run the batteries all they way down before recharging.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:24 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Not only that, but the batteries are 'pure DC' and there's not the slightest chance of hum creeping in.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion