software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #1
New Boot

software

hi ,, i've recently done a factory reset on my pc, and as a result i can no longer transfere video to my pc! as i have had my pdx10 for about 8 month's i can,t find the disc which came with it.. please can some help with any info on how to purchase a new driver, or if i can do it with window's xp. ? can i get the flash unit that plugs into the shoe where the mic sit's? if so please list. & how do i get the built in l.e.d to come on ??? thank's
Barry Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't think you need any special software to use the PDX-10 with Windows XP, but since I'm on the Mac I can't say that for sure. I was under the impression that XP includes firewire drivers. Or if you have a third party firewire card then some drivers probably came with that (or can be downloaded from the card maker's website). I think there was some sort of photo editing app for windows that came with the camera, but it was PC only so I never looked at it.

Not sure what flash unit you have in mind... do you mean a flash for taking still photos or a video light? Have never used either on my PDX-10, however if you're looking for a Sony product you can probably find it on their parts website.

What "built in LED" are you trying to turn on?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #3
New Boot

thankyou for your reply i have tryed as much as possible with xp software but to no avail, i have spoken to sony & they are getting back to me on avaliblity with the original cd but that was a few week's ago! yes it is the flash for photo's which according to the manual goes on to the shoe where the mic sit's when taking pic's, i haven't seen one on there part's list but it's there in the option's in the manual. the l.e.d light is at the front of the camera next to the plug in power for the mic & it's explained on page 148 it's called hologram af, thank's again for your reply
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

Here are a couple flashes available from the website I listed above. Looks like the first one may be the product you want, but I can't be sure since I've never used anything like this:

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web...mera/Camcorder
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web...mera/Camcorder

The hologram setting is explained on page 148 as you noted. It can be set to either AUTO or OFF. See also page 215. The setting is only active when the camera is in memory mode. But I don't take stills with my PDX-10 so I'm not really familiar with the details of how this works....
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For what it's worth, I never touced the CD that came with my camera. I didn't need to in order to transfer video from the PDX-10 to my Windows XP computer. Just plugged it in and Premiere/Scenalyzer "saw" it and that was it.

Barry--what software are you using to capture the clips? And is the firewire port on the mainboard, or is it on a seperate card?
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #6
New Boot

thankyou for the reply guy's, the software i'm using is win xp home. i no a little about computers but the usb wire is straight from the front of my tower but after what you said i'll plug it in the back, but basicly i plug it in turn to vcr and my pc should pick it up!! have i got that part right chris . thanks again both
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Barry--you need to use a firewire cable (Sony calls their version iLink, but it's still 'firewire"). USB cable will not allow you to transfer video from your camera, unless I'm completely off base. But I',m pretty sure I'm not.

Do you have a firewire/iLink cable to do the transer?
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #8
Wrangler

That's right Chris, although you can use USB (on the PC but not Mac) to transfer still photos and to stream low res MPEG video.
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #9
New Boot

thanks chris after what you have said that makes sence, i shall buy one right awayand give it a go, you guy's have been very helpful thanks again & i will post as soon as i've got one.
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

And make sure that the firewire cable you get actually fits the connector on your camera and your computer...

Chris
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Trustee

And of course, (unless I missed it somewhere in the thread) make sure your computer actually has a firewire port...
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #12
Trustee

Also, if you are having trouble with your USB connectivity, that is a driver that comes with the PC and is usually part of the system software or Mother Board drivers. You will probably need those from the website of the PC maker. I would look for newer ones on the makers website.

Last, if you are having trouble with the camera but USB seems OK, you can get inexpensive card readers to pull the still images off the memory stick.

Video, real actual taped video still needs to come in via firewire.

You can use it as a web camera I hear using USB? That's one expensive webcam though.

Happy hunting.

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #13
New Boot

sean

thank you for your reply all of you have been very helpful & i have finally done it though your help.. i had to buy a new fire wire port the one i had must have been playin up!! well thakyou again all of you.
Barry Gunning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion