DV Type for TRV950, PDX10, HC1000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Major Player

DV Type for TRV950, PDX10, HC1000?

We were having trouble adjusting to the capture settings for the HC1000. Turns out it will only capture in DV Type 1. The TRV510 I've had forever and a day, will only capture in DV Type 2.

Does this make any sense? I didn't know DV Type was camera specific. I thought it was set by the firewire card type.

What happens is the TRV510 only gets video captured when capturing with DV Type 1. No audio. Everything works with DV Type 2. The HC1000 gets distorted audio with DV Type 2 but smooth sailing with Type 1.

Addendum: The conversion to Type 2 through our editing program seems to be working but I just thought it was kind of strange.

I've got to end up Type 2 in order for my MPEG2 encoder to work with the video properly.

Last edited by Stephen Finton; June 13th, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

types? what the difference?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Stephen,

Type 1 or Type 2 is not card dependant as much as software.
If you use Scenalyser live to capture your video, (solves other audio probs of PDX10) you can choose Type 1 or Type 2
In the Scenalyser settings for capture you have several choices for capture. The first two choices are:
Type 1 DV-avi file (Mediastudio)
Type 2 DV-avi file (default: for premiere, Vegas etc)
I happen to capture with Type2 and use Mediastudio for editing and have zero probs.
Most good capture software will give you a choice as to what type (or other) you want to capture in.

Ronald: Types? Maybe this will help:
Type-1 vs. Type-2 DV AVI Files
DV cameras produce interleaved audio-video; each frame of video also contains the audio information. If you save DV data to an AVI file, you have a choice:

Store the interleaved data as one stream in the AVI file. This is known as a type-1 file.
Split the interleaved data into separate audio and video streams. This is known as a type-2 file.
For video capture, where maximum throughput is crucial, it is better to use a type-1 file, because type-2 files carry redundant audio data. (The video stream still has the audio data. The audio is simply hidden by labeling the stream as video.) Also, writing a type-2 file requires some additional processor time to split the interleaved stream.

On the other hand, type-1 files are less efficient for real-time editing. The application must extract the audio from the interleaved stream, make the edits, and interleave the data again. Also, the type-1 format is not compatible with Microsoft® Video for Windows® (VFW). DirectShow can handle both types of files.
Chris Thiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Major Player

With Mediastudio, I can only capture in Type-1 from the HC1000.
When I capture from my Sony TRV510, I can only capture in Type-2. It seems camera dependent to me.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Stephen,
Only a quick reply because I am not sure that this is the forum for talking software. There are two other very good user groups for Mediastudio.
However.
1. I capture all footage with scenalyser - It's great.
2. I looked in mediastudio capture and when my PDX10 is connected I whent to Setup, in setup there is DV Type, in DV Type is a choice of Type 1 or Type 2 then tick your choice.
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Thiele
Hi Stephen,
Only a quick reply because I am not sure that this is the forum for talking software. There are two other very good user groups for Mediastudio.
However.
1. I capture all footage with scenalyser - It's great.
2. I looked in mediastudio capture and when my PDX10 is connected I whent to Setup, in setup there is DV Type, in DV Type is a choice of Type 1 or Type 2 then tick your choice.
What I'm trying to say in my last post was that the cameras I mentioned only captured correctly when I selected the DV Type I mentioned. I know where to change it. With the TRV510, I get no audio with Type 1. With the HC1000, I get staticky audio with Type 2. Everything's fine tha other way around.
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Then I think the only way forward is different capture software.
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Major Player

It was the capture card. I got a new generic one. The bad one is an old ADS PYRO. The new generic card captured DV-Type 2 with perfect audio.

I told my compadre to try using Texas Instrument Device Control only.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion