Hit me with it: Should I go TRV950 or MX5000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old November 23rd, 2002, 10:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Hit me with it: Should I go TRV950 or MX5000?

Hit me with it: Should I go TRV950 or MX5000?

I've been unable to find a direct side-by-side comparision between the two cameras, so I look to the Group for some direct (read: unbiased, if possible) feedback for my purchase decision. When choosing, I've got a couple of considerations:

1. Japanese Menus - At first, I thought Japanese menus would be no problem, but - yikes - they're scary! I've seen the English translations, but changing settings on-the-fly during a fluid shoot situation seems fraught with disaster ...

2. Sony Accessories - I already own a Sony TRV99 Hi8 camcorder (5 years old), so some of the batteries, mics and lenses would likely work on the TRV950, but not on the MX5000.

I've scoured the groups and www.supervideo.com.

Thx! RL
Robin D. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2002, 04:56 PM   #2
Outer Circle

You live in LA. Take a drive up to Hollywood and visit http://www.qtechnologies.com - to look at and/or buy the MX5000. Then go to a Sony dealer and look at (and try) the TRV950. Figure out which one you like best, see which one you can grip better, and do see if you're going to have a problem with the Japanese icons and Japanese numbers on the MX5000. Then come back here and let us all know about the experience.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

pdx-10

I'm gonna cap the evening as the pd-10 cheerleader. Good advice Frank see what feels good in the hand. It's really however the pdx-10 vs mx-5000 as the 950 was snubbed in software and not given the true widescreen mode, it's cropped. I believe the 5000 has native as well. It's always the tools we like best that we use the most and get the most out of. If you like the sony, buy it; if panny turns your crank with some hieroglyphic frosting then enjoy that one. I think the widescreen and optics are a notch better in the sony (just a hunch) never done a direct comparison. g'night
M. Raine Lillibridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Outer Circle

If you want the best bang for the buck in way of a small hand-held, and for good 16:9, go for either the MX5000 or the PDX10. However, the MX5000 is cheaper. Also, the PV-DV953 should be out within a month, which seems to be the North American version of the MX5000. Keep in mind that the MX5000 has better manual controls than the PDX10, but the PDX10 has XLRs. With the MX5000, you will need a XLR adaptor, one from Beachtek perhaps, and this will drive up the price. Also, the DVCAM format of the PDX10 is more robust, so this is a plus in my books. Which one would I get? Heck, for the price I'd strongly look at the PV-DV953, but I would then compare it with the PDX10 to see if the price difference justifies going with the PDX. http://www.dv.com should have their PDX10 review out shortly. That may help you decide.
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,
I too am not sure which one to buy

Robin, which one did you get, and how are you getting on with it?
Sean Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #6
New Boot

Sean,

I went with the Sony TRV950. I enjoy the camera.

For me, the MX5000's Japanese menus proved to be too intimidating and cumbersome. Getting accessories seemed to be expensive and a hassle (thereby making the overall cost of ownership on par with Sony despite the less expensive MX5000 camera). Finally, software driver support is important to me and I witnessed others struggling with the communication between camera and computer, particularly important if you plan to edit your footage.

In comparison, Sony makes a great product that is well supported by software developers and service centers worldwide. Accessories are plentiful at specialty retailers and box houses everywhere. While the Sony is more expensive, it was the right choice for me given its quality, usability and overall product support by Sony and third parties.

Let me know what you decide!

Robin
Robin D. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Just to add, the Panasonic PV-DV953 is out. This is the MX5000 for the North American Market. I've also got the chance to play with one a couple of weeks ago.

Although I think that the TRV950 is a nice cam, I don't like it as a hand-held. It's difficult to hold. It also doesn't have the 30P (frame mode). However, it's still a nice cam, and its LUX requirements are a bit less (than the PV-DV953).

For me it would the 953, but for shooting in lower lighting, I'd still go for the GL2 or better, the VX2000 over the TRV950 and PV-DV953. Base your cam buying decision on what you need the cam for. For weddings, funerals, church stuff, stage stuff, you need more lux than these 2 cams can provide.
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

You made a good choice Robin, and since you made no mention of needing 16:9 the other cams mentioned wont be of much importance to you. Picture quality wise its equal to the PDX10 and it blows away the panasonic.
Phil Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Robin,
Thank you for your reply,

I was in the shop again today looking at both cams, all I can say so far is, the panny was much nicer & ligher to hold than the Sony.

I dont really need the blue tooth stuff on the Sony, but I like the Sony brand better & the picture quality.

I'm in Europe So the Panny would come with English menus & manuals.

Good point about the software, i'll have to looking into this abit more.

Thanks again for your reply
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Robin

How is the picture from your cam under low light?

Thanks....
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Sean, what do you mean by low light? 1 LUX? 20 LUX? 200 LUX?

Cams with smaller CCDs usually require more LUX than cams with larger CCDs.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

What I mean is in average indoor room lighting,(I have no idea what the LUX would be for that) sorry to be so vague.....
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:16 AM   #13
Outer Circle

I guess it would depend on the wattage of the bulbs and how far away you shoot from their light. (Stay away from 15 watt bulbs.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion