Getting footage from DVD cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Getting footage from DVD cams

Does anyone know how to get footage directly from the new sony handycam DVD dics ?

I need to access hours of footage that was shot with one of those new cams but I don't have constant access to the cam itself.

Is there anyway I can just insert the small DVD's into my mac (FCP HD / QT6PRO) and grab the digital files direct, or do I need to connect the mini DVD camera to a mini DV camera and do a very time comsuming tape dump ?

cheers
Joel Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you have a PC handy, a good workflow (there are acually no good work flows for DVD cams) is; Dump DVD vobs directly to hard drive, download ImToo DVD ripper. When selecting to convert your vobs to mpeg or divx or what ever, you have to mess around with the input and output parameters. Don't worry if this sounds scary as it's not becuse it is all through an intuitive GUI (graphical) interface. Make sure the output is AVI or mpeg (use AVI) with the correct DV frame size for your country, the best codec I have used is Indeo 5.1, it's even better than Divex 6. Good luck. NB The quality is slightly reduced. Search google for a mac "vob converter" or dvd ripper or similar if you can only use your mac.

Ainslie Davies - www.duality-productions.com
Ainslie Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:03 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks

Thanks Ainslie for your help. I found DVDxDV software from your advice.

I just have never had any contact with these small DVD discs and wasn't sure if they were just like a standard DVD ie vob files (mpeg format) or whether sony had created there own format that also might have a propriety protection system on it.

will give DVDxDV a go !

so thanks

ps. I liked the design of the banner on your site
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Major Player

I couldn't get my HP laptop to read the disc (I don't think it was finalized) so I ended up playing out via composite cables to my DV camera and recorded it (could do passthru as well), then captured via premiere.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #5
New Boot

?

Hey Kevin,

What does finalised mean?
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Major Player

My guess is that the person didn't finalize the dvd disc, therefore my laptop couldn't it. I've heard that if the disc isn't finalized than it will not be playable on a settop player. Essentially it is closing out the disc.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion