Is Sony responding to Pana AG-DVX100 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 28th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is Sony responding to Pana AG-DVX100 24p?

Hey People!

I know we are here for Sony matters..But this article made my head spin arround....
Do you think Sony is going to respond soon???

CHeck it out:

Summary: Well-designed and feature-laden 24P camcorder at an astounding price point
Target Users: Videographers

Very few products have had the kind of pre-release frenzy as Panasonic’s AG-DVX100 24P DV camcorder. Given the technology involved, it is easy to understand the excitement. After all, the Panasonic AG-DVX100 is the first 24-frames-per-second progressive-scan DV camcorder available for $3,800. (Currently the next 24P camcorder price tag starts at around $60,000 and keeps going).

- THere's entire review on
http://www.avvideo.com/cgi-bin/getframeletter.cgi?/2003/01_jan/reviews/panasonic_dvx100.htm
Vanja Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 12:09 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I doubt Sony is worried. The DVX100 is not a HD cam, just interlaced and progressive. The next big thing will be consumer and prosumer HD cams (with real 16:9). I think that's a few years away, yet.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 12:34 AM   #3
Major Player

In the photo's of the buildings, which one is the before and which one is the after? I am guessing that by his remark "the sky is blue again" the image on the right is the after. If this is the case I have two comments, one: this guy is an idiot and disregard his comment's because he made the image worse than it was and obviously doesn't know what the word "contrast" means, and two: the reasons for shooting in any mode other than 60i are so limited for professional work I am quite sure Sony isn't the least bit worried about losing a few sales to the DVX100. It looks like a neat camera and I wouldn't mind owning one, but I am not buying the first version, especially until they fix the audio sync problem (oh yea, the camera can't sync audio and video, it's a known issue, not a big one, but still,).

Anyway, don't worry too much about it because I'm sure Sony isn't losing any sleep over it...yet.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 03:57 AM   #4
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by rhett121 : but I am not buying the first version, especially until they fix the audio sync problem (oh yea, the camera can't sync audio and video, it's a known issue, not a big one, but still,). -->>>

Could you elaborate a little but more about this audio sync problem?
E-Gene Soh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:03 AM   #5
Warden

It was talked about here at DV Info and most of the other major video communities reported it also. It depends on the type of work you do, as to how major a problem it may be. Event and wedding producers may find it a lot of extra work and aggravation to deal with. Others are used to syncing audio, because they use DAT or MD to record the audio and not the camera.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

audio sync problem

I can't recall where in my research I've seen it, but in case you all didn't get your answer, the audio sync problem is that the audio is off by at least 1 frame compared to the video. Of course you should be able to fix this in post very easily, however you shouldn't have to!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion