experience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 27th, 2003, 06:12 AM   #1
New Boot

experience

I am putting together a small documentary movie that I want to shoot (on my vx2000) this summer. I have really not shot anything yet where audio is very imprtant, and am trying to gain some experience bafore i start.

The movie I am shooting will all take place in Africa.....and as a result I want to make sure that I have made the best choices (as far as mikes go) before i set sail. The movie will involve many interviews (wireless?), and a fair amount of scenery (the plains etc) shots. I am not asking for anyone to solve my problems, simply to share any information about a similar venture perhaps.

I am on a budget, therefore...

What lower end wireless set up can I get away with? about $200.

Do I need some sort of shotgun for the other shooting. I think I can get my interviews into the wireless mikes. Should I get another mike for the ambient sound, or does the VX2000's mike do an O.K. job?

Any other sound considerations that I have completely missed. Tanzania's Sony guy is notoriously hard to track down.

Thanks alot.

Marcello
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Okay, you have decided on a pretty low budget for the audio. If you have to go cheap there are ways you can do this.

If you are going to do sit down and chat type interviews, you may want to consider a wired lav mic. Radio Shack sells one for around 25 bucks. Get an extention cord to go with it for about 15. Try it. If you like it, go buy several more. I don't know what part of Africa you are going to, but if something goes wrong, is there any place you can buy a new one?

As far as the build in mic goes, it's fine for about 6ft in a quiet place. If it gets loud, forget it.

I am a believer in the shotgun mic. I have an Azden Sgn-2x that I am happy with. It was around $200.

Now, I'm going to give you something to consider. If this is a once in a life time trip, the stakes are very high. And in the audio world, you don't get many second chances. I REALLY wouldn't want to skimp on the audio. I would get the Sennie K6 mic. The mic and capsule run about 500 or 600. That's a lot of cash, no question. But this is an expensive trip. You may not get a second chance.

Were it mine to do I would try to bring 2 of everything. One good camera, one "just OK" camera. One good shotgun mic, one "just ok"etc. Don't forget to bring an old fashioned tape recorder. Set it up when you interview. This way if all else fails, you can use the audio as a voiceover.

One last thing, if you are going into the "boonies" bring an instant camera. As Robert Pelton said, World Peace could be acheived by an instant camera and enough film.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Joe,

I have run through the "once in a lifetime" scenario, and agree. What if I shoot all sorts of great stuff and can't really hear anything that anyone is saying? I might have to wait for a day that I feel rich, run over to B and H and but everything, tear up the receipts, and deal with credit cards later.

Marcello
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Why not rent? Audio rentals are fairly cheap, and all professional rental companies will cut a deal for you for an extended trip. Certainly worth investigating.

I would be certain I had a good shotgun mic mounted on the camera for those moments when you have to get it on the run. If you can rent one, go for a Sennheiser 416.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Joe: what about the quality of the cheap RadioShack lavalier?

TIA

FP
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #6
Warden

Wayne's got the right idea, if you only have $200 bucks, it's better to rent. Nothing in the sub $400 range is going to get you much in a wireless setup. If it were me, I'd rent.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 12:38 PM   #7
Wrangler

If you are going to do interviews at close range . . . within 20-30 feet, go for a wired lav. Get a Sony ECM-44B for about $150 new (ask B&H if they have a demo for less) and an XLR dapter cable (if you don't have an XLR adapter).

Or get a shotgun. An AT835B will be more rugged than a Senn and only cost you around $250 or a bit less. Have someone hold the shotgun in close for your interviews.

Don't forget wind protection. The best microphones will be defeated by just a little wind. The foam covers are not much use for anything over a 2 mph breeze. $150 from Light Wave Systems. $50 for the Lav from B&H.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion