Problems on PD170 with timecode resetting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems on PD170 with timecode resetting

I've noticed lately in the middle of shooting my timecode resets back to zero. I'll be shooting for anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes, and everything is fine. Then, I'll hit record again and notice that my timecode reset. Sometimes I rewind to make sure the other footage is there and ok, and it is. All the footage is fine. But the timecode reset makes capturing a little more challenging.

Anyone know why it might be doing this? It just started happening the last 6 months. Is this a sign I need to send it in to Sony for a good cleaning?

It's about 2 1/2 years old and these hrs meter reading are:
operation - 44x10h
drum run - 25x10h
tape run - 14x10h
threading - 47x10h

Thanks for any advice.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

Usually, the only way this happens is if there is a non-recorded gap between the last clip and the new clip. I stopped reviewing previous footage because that would almost always caused a gap unless I finished the previous clip with a bit of garbage footage that I could record over.

Otherwise, one has to step up to one of the big cameras and use the cartridges with the chip in them to avoid this.
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I knew that would happen if there was unrecorded tape in-between, but that's not the case here. I've certainly done it a few times before learning reviewing is a bad idea. I've also recorded over footage I wanted before learning reviewing is a bad idea.

After learning those hard lessons, I never review my footage in-camera, but did here only after the timecode reset only to see if the previous footage was there and ok.

I'm hoping it's just a dirty head or something. That's easy enough to send in for cleaning. Or some other stupid mistake I'm making... as opposed to a problem with the camera.

Thanks for your quick response!
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Actually, Mike, I do believe MiniDV tapes are made with chips in them that would solve the problem, even on these smaller cameras.

It may not need to go that far, though; a couple of years ago I faced the same problem with my VX2000. Record footage, review it (I too have stopped doing this, as it only introduces the potential for problems and never gives me any useful information), and then make absolutely sure that there were no less than five seconds 'til the end of the existing timecode before switching back to camera mode and recording, and my timecode would start from zero again. It should have worked, and it had worked in the past.

At the end of my rope, I asked on this very forum, and someone suggested simply resetting the camera, which did the trick. Have you given that a try? I imagine the button is in the same place on your camera, underneath the LCD panel, toward the bottom right. Get a pen, or a paperclip, and see what happens.

And don't forget the End Search button! Even if you switch from Camera to VTR, even if you turn the camera off, even if you take the battery out and leave it that way for a week (you wouldn't do that, but if you did), so long as the tape itself has remained in the camera since the last recording, you can simply hit End Search to cue up the end of your existing material. Start recording from there, no timecode breaks to worry about. Truth be told, I'm not actually certain it's available on the PD models, but if it is it should be on the top left edge of the body, just under the handle, near the playback controls.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion