PD150 blacklevel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 9th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PD150 blacklevel

I read somewhere that you could manually adjust the blacklevel on the PD150, but I just canīt seem to find the option in the menu. I found something called V.F. BL, but it didnīt excactly have any impact on the image. It would be really nice to be able to adjust the blacklevel on the PD150 as we sometimes use it together with BETA SP cameras, and I canīt say that the pictures fit that well together. The BETAs have a M ped controller, and the mix looks just okay, but if we could adjust the PD150s too, it would hopefully make a bigger impact on the overall similarity of the pictures.

Eivind
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

You can adjust the setup level from 0 IRE to 7.5 IRE. I think that is the only change. VF BL is for the LCD display.
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I checked and the VF BL was of course the viewfinder brightness level...Anyway, how does one adjust the setup level? Is it accessed from the menu or is it some kind of factory setting that should be changed by a technician? I can't seem to find it.
Eivind Vaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

Take a look at this thread. Black level is discussed. As I understand it, you wouldn't really want to change the setup level in the menu, since it doesn't really perform this function, just makes your blacks grey. Adam Wilt suggested that the only use for this might be to match two cameras being used in a live shoot and feeding the same VTR...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

Page 106 of the manual.

Page 2 on the camera's Menu layout- its the M icon

Third item on the M Menu.
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

NTSC-option?

Could this blacklevel-business possibly be an option restricted to NTSC equipment? I canīt for the best of me find the item on the menu. On the second page of the camera menu thereīs only two options, auto shutter and prog. scan. As I live in Europe, the equipment is PAL.
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Wrangler

It is only an issue for NTSC because in the US, our black level is 7.5 IRE. In Japan it is 0 IRE.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion