VX2100 underwater housing. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VX2100 underwater housing.

How much would something like this actually be worth second hand?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ikelite-underw...QQcmdZViewItem

Was looking on ebay and came across this. I'd love to get into underwater videos and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this unit.

Thanks for your help,

Russ
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Don't know but i want it!!!!!!!!!
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I have two of these type of Ikelite housings though I don't use them anymore - they are almost identical. New, they are about $1500 for the basic unit. Things to consider about secondhand units:

1. Scratches on the dome port
2. Leaky "double x" levers (the controls)
3. Clean and undamaged sealing surfaces for the main o-ring
4. Get it serviced (check with Ikelite for cost and locations if outside of the US)

Things to consider generally:

1. Lighting - beyond 20ft, you'll really want lighting. The housing is configured for Ikelite's 50W video lighting system.
2. You'll be limited to B&W viewing and will have to hold the housing up to your face. It's slightly negatively buoyant so that isn't the issue - the problem is that you will experience the dive in B&W (that's my biggest gripe with this style of housing).
3. Make sure the specific functions that are controlled via the levers suit your needs - (http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/vx2000.html). For me (with my particular camcorders), overriding the autofocus is the most important factor. My PDX10 (which would fit the same housing you are looking at) has a three-way slider switch for Auto/Man/Infinity - these are enough to let you get hunt-free footage but it is a bit fiddly. Often, infinity works fine because of the way the spherical dome port works (it creates a virtual image at infinity).
4. Storage/Protection - thes are large housings and require a large Pelican case (can't recall which size). These are expensive.
5. Transportation - these are heavy to lug around above water, especially when you are fully kitted up.
6. Microphone - the front plate can be configured with a microphone that connects to the camcorder. I'm sure this can be done after the fact. An opportune time to do it would be when getting the unit serviced. You'll be amazed what it can pick up - especially things you yourself don't hear on the dive.

HTH,

John.

BTW, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions generally about underwater video (I've been doing it for rather too long - my inaugural shoot was in Stoney Cove in 1994!)
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use this housing for my pd170. It works great. check out BH for a price. This unit seems to be the cheapest around and works great.

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's great info, ta. I'll see how it goes. Not sure about "proper" diving, but I'd be interested to start doing underwater stuff.
Again, thanks for the help!
Russ
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Rus
most of my underwater video is shot in less than 30 feet. As I can not dive, due to ear problems, I have to keep close to the surface. in the bahamas and the keys this makes a great pastime and I still get a great tan. Shot a crab in 3 feet of water building a home in the sand. spent about 1 houre getting the video

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

My heart Jumps when I think about under water videos....

Do you know if you can rent the case and the camera together, anywhere in FLa?
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

do not know of any rental places in florida, try a google search, try dive shops and also photo shops. the case is about 1k from www.bhphotovideo.com. i know that renting the pd170 from a place in miami is 250 per day. not cheap.

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion