A thought about HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Wrangler

A thought about HD

While considering the discussions about SD vs HD I had a thought.

Background: I'm waiting for a reasonably priced 32" 1080P LCD TV with computer input to appear (I want a 2-use display; work and entertainment. I think $1400 is still a bit too expensive. So, while I have a 17" 720P HD LCD for use as a portable display, I still have a SD television in the entertainment center.

Fast forward to next year or so: Most of the 720P HD TV sets are headed for oblivion in the retail channel. Why? Marketing hype. I've noticed that the ratio of 1080P to 720P offerings is almost reversed in the Sunday ads. By next year, with the 'full HD' ads for 1080P, 720P will, I think, be dead.

So, what does that mean for us? Since may of our customers are driven by what they see in the store / TV / ads, they are going to want the 'best' thing. By next year that will be 1080P (and you will start seeing the promise of 2X 1080P I think). As the HD prices get below $500 for a reasonably sized display, more consumers will make the switch. But it will be to 1080P I think.

The upshot is that any camera that doesn't supply 1080P native video, is going to be 'not what the customer ordered.' Where does that leave us? With another upgrade in equipment, that's where.

I went through the painful switch from analog to digital video. Fortunately I had invested in an editing suite that handled both so I didn't have to again spend thousands in that department. But the camera upgrades, from Pro Hi-8 (loved that Sony on-the-shoulder camera) to DV and DVCAM were painful. (I still have the Sony Pro Hi-8 decks because they went from $5,000 decks to $500 anchors almost overnight)

Bottom line: Unless you have current clients who are going to allow you to pay off the expensive 720P equipment before you have to upgrade, you might want to wait a bit.

It is just a thought.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion