Help! VX1000 needs fixing.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help! VX1000 needs fixing..

Hi there.

My old VX1000 has started putting horizontal green stripes over everything i try to film....also there's some nasty digital break up and sound drop out.

I'm guessing i finally need new heads...tried cleaning but no joy.

Where can i get this done in the UK and how much is it likely to cost me?

Any help is much appreciated.

Ta

Sean V
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I hate to say it as I still have my original VX1000 (purchased in 95 or 96) and used it as a 3rd camera until 2006 when it finally gave up the ghost. As for fixing it, it really isn't worth it. For a bit more than what it would cost you to get it fixed you could get much newer technology. OK maybe a lot more but the benefit is technology that is at least 5 to 6 years newer such as a preowned PD150 or even a 170.
Just something to think about.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You may be talking a GBP 300 to 600 cost to fix if you have done nothing but put head cleaners through it and not had it serviced professionally.

There may likely be all kinds of crappenstance all over the guides by now that a cleaning tape will not budge. An lube on the load/unload system will be tight and dired and maybe not forming a complete loop around the drum.

Maybe all it needs is a proper clean, lube and back tension corrected which is what about GBP 300 to 600 may get you.

Then again I might be totally wrong and your camera may be fit only as an exhibit.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks..

Thanks for the advice guys...

But...i bought it cheap..(really really cheap) only about 7 months ago as a second camera for getting moving car shots for a movie i'm working on...also for other shots where i wouldn't dare put my main camera.

...so, if it costs a few hundred to fix...it's still worth it. I really don't want to buy another SD camera as i'll hardly use it.. i just need this working for another few months.

So...if anyone knows of a good service centre / repair shop in the south east of the UK...let me know.

I've had it apart today..(i used to service digital audio tape machines so i know my way around the transport system etc).. i reckon i might clean the head and guides with some isopropyl alcohol. This is standard practice for DAT heads and DA88 heads etc. Any reason why i shouldn't do the same on a video head?

Any help appreciated as always...

Last edited by Sean Vincent; March 13th, 2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

here's some very detailed pages on cleaning a trv900 which should be relevant.

http://bealecorner.com/trv900/trouble/capclean.html

http://bealecorner.com/trv900/trouble/index.html

note the bit (I think it's in that one) about the importance of cleaning the drum in the correct direction...

good luck!
Chris Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks..

Thanks for that Chris...very helpful. Am going to clean it thoroughly tomorrow and hope for the best.

If the problem persists, it'll have to have new heads. Sony reckon it's a minimum of £176 to fix anything on the VX1000...so adding parts to that...could be pricey. Anyone got a dead VX1000 they want to sell for spares?

Thanks again..

Sean
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The results..

Well, i took the VX1000 apart...carefully and went to town with the isopropyl alcohol.

I cleaned the head, the guides and the rollers.. i ended up with some very black q-tips.

I blasted the transport system with an air blower can and then put it all back together..

And....it works! I recorded some footage and it played back 100% ok.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion