replacing pdx10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

replacing pdx10

What is there in a similar price range when moving to hd ?
I love the size of the pdx10 but don't think I want to go
bigger. I really liked the footage originally but compared to hd
it looks really flat. Maybe used fx1 ? What is on the horizon from Sony?
My use is mostly personal, some surf, some soccer and snowboarding.
I think maybe someone in this forum will understand where the pdx type cameras fit.
Thanks
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

In a similar price range? Things have changed Jim, and in real-world terms the Sony A1 is actually cheaper than your PDX10 was.

OK, it's not a three chipper, but what it does have is a far bigger 1''/3 CMOS chip over the tiny and CCD smearing 1''/5 CCDs in the PDX. It still had the auto internal ND and the touch-screen menus, but look, it's HDV and 16:9 right out of the box.

If you can go to the FX1 and don't mind the loss of the XLR inputs then I'd say that was a much better upgrade, simply because of the proper manual control offered on the bigger and heavier FX.

What's on Sony's horizon? Well, a slow but sure move away from tape to CF and SxS solid state acquisition, but that's some way off yet. Why? Simply because tape is so reliable, cheap, plentiful and downright good.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion