DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Polarizing Filter Question for VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/1233-polarizing-filter-question-vx2000.html)

smartydraaws March 12th, 2002 01:19 AM

Polarizing Filter Question for VX2000

Looking for a good/cheap polarizing filter for my vx2000... Sony's is $100 and circular...

basically wondering if i can buy the Tiffen 58mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter from B&H for $36.95?

just heard that Tiffen makes quality stuff....

thanks,

william

Ken Tanaka March 12th, 2002 01:43 AM

Tiffen makes pretty good filters (I have many), so I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't think that Sony actually makes filters. Most likely they rebrand and mark-up someone else's filters...probably Tiffen's.

Before selecting a circular polarizer, however, use the Search function (above) to look for "circular" or "polarizer" threads. We recently had a discussion concerning linear -vs- circular polarizers around here. There were points made on both sides that might give you a broadened perspective on the purchase (or confuse you into analysis paralysis ;->)

smartydraaws March 12th, 2002 10:53 AM

thanks...

i'll do that search right now... one more question...

will pretty much any 58mm filter fit my camera???

william

Ken Tanaka March 12th, 2002 11:25 AM

I don't have a VX2000, but if 58mm is the correct filter size (as found on the lens' engraving or the manual) then, yes, the pitch of threads for filters is standard.

Michael Bendixen July 16th, 2004 06:47 PM

I tried mounting a tiffen round polarizer on my pd-170 prime but I couldn't fit on the sunshade as well. Does anyone have any tricks. I really want that sunshade.

Nick Reed July 16th, 2004 11:07 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Bendixen : I tried mounting a tiffen round polarizer on my pd-170 prime but I couldn't fit on the sunshade as well. Does anyone have any tricks. I really want that sunshade. -->>>

Well...this is not a trick, and it will cost you some money but...Hoya makes a "low profile" 5mm polarizer. Maybe it would work for you.

http://www.heliopan.com/hoya.htm

Mike Rehmus July 17th, 2004 04:52 PM

I guess the 170 lenshood is different from the stock 150 hood. I can place any filter I want on the 150 prime without interference from the hood.

Jeff Donald July 17th, 2004 05:10 PM

I'm not sure how the hood attaches, but the thin mount filters generally don't have threads on the outer edge.

Bryan Beasleigh July 17th, 2004 05:49 PM

Hoya has thin mount filters 3mm thick with and without outer threads. Hoya is also a better quality filter than the Tiffen. This opinion is based on my own comparisons between the two (with both filters in my hand) The ultimate is a Schneider Optics or so I'm told.

Any lens shade will interfere with the rotation of a polarizer and a circular is a waste of money.

The circular for use on a minidv camera is a myth perpetuated by people that are unsure so they recomend it anyway. The circular is for cameras which use polarizing elements in the beam-splitters of the viewing system. This includes SLR's and movie cameras, not DV cameras.
I use a tiffin 58mm and a Formatt 4x4 glass linear polarizer on my VX2K with no ill effects.

Order a linear from B&H and try it. If it doesn't work you can return it and I will give you full permission to call me anything you want. I'm so sure , that if it doesn't work not only will i kiss your butt , I'll give you an hour to draw a crowd.

Mike Rehmus July 17th, 2004 06:05 PM

Bryan, the only interference between the rotation of the polarizing filter and the lens shade on my PD150's is my thick fingers. The lens shade is clear of the front of the lens with respect to filter mounting and operation.

Jeff Donald July 17th, 2004 06:12 PM

I've taken my Dremel Tool and cut an opening in my hoods so I can rotate the polarizer.

Bryan Beasleigh July 17th, 2004 08:01 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : Bryan, the only interference between the rotation of the polarizing filter and the lens shade on my PD150's is my thick fingers. The lens shade is clear of the front of the lens with respect to filter mounting and operation. -->>>

Jeez ;-) that's the same problem i had as well. Being the gear slut that I am, it became an excuse for further aquasitions.

Jeff has the most effective fix. I would have done the same thing but I already own a dremel.

George Ellis July 19th, 2004 12:18 PM

I have a Crystal Optics? polarizer and it is too thick for my VX2100 hood. I was going to swap filters in Bar Harbor to shoot 'stuff' along the water's edge. After figuring out it was too big, I looked again in the water and decided it wasn't that interesting anyway ;) I needed the hood more than I needed the polarized filter since it was approaching sunset. :)