Polarizing Filter Question for VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 12th, 2002, 01:19 AM   #1
smartydraaws

Polarizing Filter Question for VX2000

Looking for a good/cheap polarizing filter for my vx2000... Sony's is $100 and circular...

basically wondering if i can buy the Tiffen 58mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter from B&H for $36.95?

just heard that Tiffen makes quality stuff....

thanks,

william
Old March 12th, 2002, 01:43 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tiffen makes pretty good filters (I have many), so I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't think that Sony actually makes filters. Most likely they rebrand and mark-up someone else's filters...probably Tiffen's.

Before selecting a circular polarizer, however, use the Search function (above) to look for "circular" or "polarizer" threads. We recently had a discussion concerning linear -vs- circular polarizers around here. There were points made on both sides that might give you a broadened perspective on the purchase (or confuse you into analysis paralysis ;->)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2002, 10:53 AM   #3
smartydraaws

thanks...

i'll do that search right now... one more question...

will pretty much any 58mm filter fit my camera???

william
Old March 12th, 2002, 11:25 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I don't have a VX2000, but if 58mm is the correct filter size (as found on the lens' engraving or the manual) then, yes, the pitch of threads for filters is standard.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I tried mounting a tiffen round polarizer on my pd-170 prime but I couldn't fit on the sunshade as well. Does anyone have any tricks. I really want that sunshade.
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Bendixen : I tried mounting a tiffen round polarizer on my pd-170 prime but I couldn't fit on the sunshade as well. Does anyone have any tricks. I really want that sunshade. -->>>

Well...this is not a trick, and it will cost you some money but...Hoya makes a "low profile" 5mm polarizer. Maybe it would work for you.

http://www.heliopan.com/hoya.htm
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Wrangler

I guess the 170 lenshood is different from the stock 150 hood. I can place any filter I want on the 150 prime without interference from the hood.
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #8
Warden

I'm not sure how the hood attaches, but the thin mount filters generally don't have threads on the outer edge.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #9
Trustee

Hoya has thin mount filters 3mm thick with and without outer threads. Hoya is also a better quality filter than the Tiffen. This opinion is based on my own comparisons between the two (with both filters in my hand) The ultimate is a Schneider Optics or so I'm told.

Any lens shade will interfere with the rotation of a polarizer and a circular is a waste of money.

The circular for use on a minidv camera is a myth perpetuated by people that are unsure so they recomend it anyway. The circular is for cameras which use polarizing elements in the beam-splitters of the viewing system. This includes SLR's and movie cameras, not DV cameras.
I use a tiffin 58mm and a Formatt 4x4 glass linear polarizer on my VX2K with no ill effects.

Order a linear from B&H and try it. If it doesn't work you can return it and I will give you full permission to call me anything you want. I'm so sure , that if it doesn't work not only will i kiss your butt , I'll give you an hour to draw a crowd.
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #10
Wrangler

Bryan, the only interference between the rotation of the polarizing filter and the lens shade on my PD150's is my thick fingers. The lens shade is clear of the front of the lens with respect to filter mounting and operation.
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #11
Warden

I've taken my Dremel Tool and cut an opening in my hoods so I can rotate the polarizer.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : Bryan, the only interference between the rotation of the polarizing filter and the lens shade on my PD150's is my thick fingers. The lens shade is clear of the front of the lens with respect to filter mounting and operation. -->>>

Jeez ;-) that's the same problem i had as well. Being the gear slut that I am, it became an excuse for further aquasitions.

Jeff has the most effective fix. I would have done the same thing but I already own a dremel.
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #13
Trustee

I have a Crystal Optics? polarizer and it is too thick for my VX2100 hood. I was going to swap filters in Bar Harbor to shoot 'stuff' along the water's edge. After figuring out it was too big, I looked again in the water and decided it wasn't that interesting anyway ;) I needed the hood more than I needed the polarized filter since it was approaching sunset. :)
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion