2100 stopped recording-need repair shop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
New Boot

2100 stopped recording-need repair shop

Everyone's nightmare, I shot a wedding yesterday, all functions seemed normal, including the info on the LCD, but when I went to playback the tape - nothing on it. I use Sony tapes, this was a second use tape. Last use of the camera the output was perfect.
The camera displays only a blue screen on playback, and when we out the "recorded" tape in a new 2100, it showed nothing except a distorted view of the previously recorded image. The tape transport seems fine in all modes, it looks like a head problem. I bought this camera used, so it looks like I need a good repair shop and a $600 loan!
Fortunately Camera 1 was in a good position so we got the wedding shoot on it.
Now, does anybody know where I can get this done reliably and reasonably in Canada. Cross-border shipping is expensive.
Reg
Reginald Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Reginald. You might start with the service locator on Sony Canada's website here: Sony.ca Service Centre Locator
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Recommendation needed

Thanks, Boyd. The first name that came up is a 3-man operation in Ottawa that never returned my call the last time i talked to them weeks ago. Think I'll skip them. I'm looking for the kind of strong reccomendation that I have seen on this forum for Amato's, for example. In fact, If I can't get one here, I'll have to find a way to get it to them.
Thanks,
Reg
Reginald Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I cant recommend any repairshops for you but the problem you described is not unknown to me. A colleague of mine had the same problem some months ago with a vx2100. His luck was that he was doing some test recording on performance and they were at that moment rehearsing. After ten minutes he decided to have a look at his footage on a small tv he brought with him and to his surprise the only thing he saw was an earlier recorded wedding but partially distorted. He also had a used tape and apparently his second recording did not "stick" on the tape. he used a cleaning cassette and a new tape and then it worked as it should and he has not had this problem again the months after that.

Ofcourse it could be that your problem might be different and that the heads are damaged or something like that but have you tried cleaning the heads and recording again afterwards with a unused tape? This is also a reason why I never, ever use a tape more then once for paid jobs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

I too had that problem on my PD-150. Fortunately, I caught it when I took a look at the first shot while we were on location.

That taught me to never reuse tape. Ever.

Apparently the 150/170 and the 2000/2100 don't have as strong a record signal as some other cameras. My DSR-300, for instance, has no problem in writing over previous footage. But then it was made for that in the DVCam mode. I suspect that the 150/170 might write 'harder' in DVCam mode although I never tested that shaky theory.

The price of failure is too high compared to the cost of a new cassette of tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion