Advice on external microphones, etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 16th, 2002, 01:37 PM   #1
combatvideo

Advice on external microphones, etc.

I have a Sony DCR-VX2000, manufactured in Jan 2002.

1. I would like some advice on which shotgun microphone would be good for this camera.

2. Does anyone know where I can get "engineer black" that I can download onto my memory stick?

Thanks
Old March 16th, 2002, 02:14 PM   #2
combatvideo

More specifically...

I prefer a "cardioid" microphone, but I don't want a mic that is too long for the VX-2000. I prefer a microphone that does not need external power (I don't want a condensor type mic).

Thanks
Old March 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #3
combatvideo

Thanks for the email advice

I have received a couple of emails (not sure if they came from here though) that helped me out big time. Here is what I will do:

1. Azden SGM-1X mic
2. Studio1 XLR-Pro XLR Adaptor
3. Put the lens cap on and take a picture of the blackness onto my memory stick.

I'll be back if I have more questions. Thanks!

Last edited by combatvideo; March 17th, 2002 at 01:33 PM.
Old March 19th, 2002, 10:18 AM   #4
Incomplete registration -- contact Admin

I seem to be one of the lucky people who doesn't have and has never had any audio issues with the VX 2000. Here's what I use: Beechtek double xlr adaptor screw-on plate. This gear plugs into the mini-jack on the right side of the VX - has a mic/line switch a stereo/mono switch and two level pots. I find a simple efficient microphone like the Shure SM 57 or the Sennheiser 421 works just great with the Beechtek. I also use a customized wireless by Sennheiser with a Tram lav (without the Beechtek) with similar success.
kgertler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 11:51 PM   #5
Mark Percival

I'm about to buy a VX2000 and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need in the way of audio setup. What purpose do you use that VX2000 for and are you mounting that shure or seinheiser on the VX2000.

I'm looking to setup a documentary camera and I'm trying to get a most bang for my buck as far as mics go. I will probably have a guy just holding the shotgun mic as close as possible to the person talking, but I also want to mount it on the camera for when I will be shooting alone, or on the run with a person talking and no room for a sound person to stick a mic in there. I've also thought about get a omnidirectional mic and putting it on the second input for an extra audio track of the surrounding noise.

Any help would be great. Oh also, you say you VX2000 doesn't have audio probs. Are you using the same Beechtek XLR adapter that the BBC mod cameras are using?

Thanks,
Mark
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:40 AM   #6
Incomplete registration -- contact Admin

The Beechtek DX A-4 Dual Mic Adaptor is available for about $250.00 Canadian or $180.00 U.S. dollars. I'm not sure if this is what the BBC uses or not. I have heard that they made some kind of internal modification to the camera. I purchased mine at Henry's camera in Toronto - which is easy to find online. With regard to your two mic setup - the Beechtek can handle two different mics quite nicely - Put your headphones on and adjust your level pots until you like what you hear - or visually monitor your levels on the pop out viewfinder. You can also balance a board feed with a live mic input this way. (don't forget your mic/line switch!) Your big problem may be mounting a mic on the camera. I have customized mine with a few velcro strips so that I can attach various mic attachments (i.e. wireless receiver) or small 'lav' style mics. In a pinch I have gaffer-taped a basic mic (shure 57) to the metal camera handle on the top - not a thing of beauty - but worked just fine.
kgertler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 03:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sony has a decent inexpensive cardioid (shotgun) microphone which plugs in to the accessory shoe on the top of the camera. The model number is ECM-HS1. It will "zoom" with the lens, but has a tendency to sound a bit thin at its hypercardioid range ... but this feature is defeatable. I've been using it to shoot B-roll for a couple of months and recommend it...a very good run and gun mic.

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion