On-Camera Lights At Receptions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:48 AM   #16
Trustee

Tom,
We've used the Lumiquest and, actually, heat is not a problem.
Comes supplied with velcro that works out fine.
Ten watts or twenty watts makes no difference.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

You've used it on the Sony HVL-20DW2? If so, which Lumiquest model, coz there's loads to choose from.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Tom: here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=93262&is=REG

If that link doesn't work, go to the B&H website and do a search for "lumiquest" -- it's the one for $17.95, Mfr # LQ951D

I haven't yet tried it with both lights (20W) on ... you're right, that could get pretty hot, though I have used it for extended periods (say 15 minutes or so) with one light (10W) and so far, no problems with the heat. There are several others who use it on the Video University website and there are no reported problems.

The softbox comes with four flaps, each flap with a piece of velcro attached. They also include four strips of fabric so you can velcro the flaps to the light. I cut the supplied velcro strips in half lengthwise, and applied them to the front edges around the light. So all you do is attach the four flaps to the edges of the light; the softbox is thereby suspended a few inches infront of the lamps. And if you need to go to the full 10W or 20W, it's pretty easy to just rip the softbox off the light in a few seconds.

This softbox is a big relief because I used to dread using the 10W/20W alone -- sometimes it's just too bright, esp. in a very dark room. With the softbox on, I can shoot without fear of bothering anyone, and it adds just enough diffuse light boost that I can keep the gain down to a reasonable level.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM   #19
Wrangler

I personally use the Sony 10/20 light with diffusion via paper under the glass. You can buy a sheet of diffussion paper for a few dollars. Christopher McGuiness uses it for his shoots- have you ever seen his reception footage. Looks great!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:10 PM   #20
Trustee

We've used it for two hours straight with 20 watts,
no problem.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:00 PM   #21
Old Boot

Canon Interloper! Canon Experience!

Canon XM2 here. Just been reading all the Sony-See-In-The-Dark qualities . . Yer wanna know from dark shooting? I use the Pag C6 system . . now the XM2 jumpos into life .. Amazing! Best 20 watts I've purchased . . . looks good too!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Anybody use the Frezzi Micro-Fill Dimmer (35W)?

I'm thinking a dimmer might be a good idea although I've mentioned I've use the Sony 10/20W at the moment.

Some have even insisted it's better to get the Frezzi Mini-Fill since 100W with diffusion is more flexible. I think 100W is WAY OVERKILL though (when would you light something fare away with a camer light?).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion