me66 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 20th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

me66 question

i recieved my me66/k6 today for my vx2000. I thought i'd be able to use the xlr input from an old mic that i have. Then i could just throw a 1/8 adapter over the 1/4 from the mic cord. Then i could hear my pretty new shotgun mic in my vx2000. This didn't work. Do i need a special xlr adapter? By the way, my old mic worked fine through my vx2000. Thanks, in advance.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

You have to make certain the adapters are wired correctly. If the 1/8" miniplug is monaural, that alone could be the problem.
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

do you have the K6 or K6P module?

The K6P module will only work with Phantom power (+48V).

It looks like you have the K6 so just make sure you're using a fresh battery and turn the switch on ;)

You can also check your XLR to jack cable :
XLR 2 ---> tip
XLR 1 - XLR 3 ---> sleeve (and ring if you want both channels)

A serial capacitor may be required to block the camera polarizing voltage and avoid distortion.

Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

I do not think that is the correct wiring for an XLR to mini-jack

The sleeve is the ground/ shield almost always.
Ring and tip are the two signal leads.

You want XLR pin 2 to be wired to the tip and ring. You want XLR pin 3 to be tied to the sleeve. Leave XLR pin 1, the shield unconnected or floating.

The reason is that the signal is developed only between pins 2 and 3. There is no real signal between pins 2 or 3 and pin 1. So to feed a single-ended system from a balanced system, you have to destroy the balanced bit by grounding one side of the signal pair.

You could, in the case of a camcorder, probably get away with hooking pin 1 to the sleeve too. But if you plug it into something that is AC powered (or you plug the video from the camera into a monitor) you could get a nasty surprise. So I'd leave it not connected.
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i suppose i didn't clarify myself, especially since i am an ignoramus in the area of xlr connections. My means of connecting my shotgun to my camera were from a single cord. On one end of this cord is a 3 pin xlr input and on the other end is a 1/4 jack. I thought that this would take the place of an adapter. maybe this was my fatal error.
I tried out the shotgun with just the regular 1/4 inch jack on a 4-track mixer i have, but it still didn't have any kind of response.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:47 PM   #6
Wrangler

You have to confirm that the setup is wired correctly. Easiest way to check the connections is with and ohmmeter.

Pin 2 on the XLR should be connected to the tip of the 1/4 " plug. Pin 3 on the XLR should be connected to the sleeve of the 1/4" plug. Pin 1 on the XLR shouldn't be connected to anything.
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:31 AM   #7
Major Player

That happens to me already. First time I used a cable from my ordinary microphone and it won't work. I tried another one from a professional DJ and works. So yeah, check the connection if it is wired correctly. Other wise, just buy a pre-made one. I bought at B&H a 3 feet long Female XLR to Male Phone for about $9.00 plus shipping and works great.
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

well thanks for all of the suggestions. Today i bought a simple xlr adapter and it works perfectly.
James Klatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion