Tape jam VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape jam VX2100

My beautiful vx2100 with hundreds and hundreds of hours on it has a cassette jammed in it.
Looks like I will have to take it apart to get the tape out. Is there another way? Have been unable to get it to eject and have always used Sony tapes only. If I have to disassemble it, is there a guide somewhere showing what screws to remove?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Ken
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Sorry to hear that, Ken; I've had my VX2000 since April of 2002 and have only run maybe three dozen tapes through it, so can't imagine what a pain this kind of thing is.

I may be able to help, though. I've got a set of exploded views for the 2000, and if you're the mechanically-inclined adventurous type, I don't believe the 2100 changed much in the way of machinery. This is not based on first hand knowledge, mind you, and could be completely wrong. If you get the cassette door off (only two screws) you should be able to see a little more easily, and if you take a flashlight--and maybe a magnifying glass--to your camera's innards you can compare them to the PDFs and see if there's any difference. If not, you might have a chance.

To be fair, what I have are not "guides", per se, but they do show the location of all the screws, gears, ribbons, and other associated dangly bits, and might be of some service. You may not have to touch any springs to get the tape out, but it's hard to tell from these diagrams, so be careful around them, they're tiny.

I don't know if I'd be allowed to post the zip file on DVI (though to be fair, these used to be freely, publicly available on Sony's parts order pages), but I can attach them to an email. Shall I send them along?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, please and thanks. khud5@juno.com
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There is a resource right here on dvinfo in the stickies above which you may already have found.

Camcorder Service IJmuiden
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob, I did see this but need more detail. Thanks
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey, Ken, it's been a couple of days, just thought I should check here in case my email got caught in a spam filter somewhere along the line, what with the attachment and all.

Did the PDFs get through all right, or shall I try again?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, Robert. Got the PDF's and was able to get the tape out. Thanks everyone for your help.
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion