VX2000 Accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 29th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #1
Major Player

VX2000 Accessories

I've just made the jump from consumer to PROsumer and pruchased a VX2000 (luv it by the way:) ). Now I need to buy accessories. What size lens is the stock lens for a VX2000, 58mm? I see that there are step down kits to match sizes. Do I need to buy the step kits to fit a 58mm?... What is the difference between lenses. I saw one wide angle lense for $89 and saw another by Century lenses for $349. Is there truly a difference in the lenses or is it just marketing value... One last question, what is the minimal "arsenal" a videographer should have (short films, documentaries, weddings, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Major Player

You can search the data base here and find your answers but most of us VX2k owners here have a wide angle lens/ external mics /xlr adapter and a decent tripod. The thread size on the lens is 58mm you should not need a step down kit for any accessories there are many made for the VX2k . the difference in lens prices is quality in the build/ glass/ optics etc. .basically depending on the projects you are doing the arsenal could change.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info. Are the XLR adapters really necessary? I was told that even though you are adapting XLR it is still going into the VX2K's unbalanced input?
Old August 29th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4
Major Player

No its not necessary to have the xlr box .you can get buy with a 1/8" to xlr cable, You can also do a search here for those i believe there are even plans on how to make one .I like the Sign video box because it lets me r ide the levels . Also gives you the capability to use 2 mics.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Major Player

For general shooting I would recommend the following:

1) Wide Angle Lens - 47th St. Photo for some good deals [they have an ebay store - type in "VX2000 lens" and you'll find them]. I got a nice Phoenix .65 lens from them that rocks. Heavy, Zoom-through, great quality and threads on front. Personally, I'd spend money on a quality mic setup and other accessories first before dropping too much into a WA lens.

2) Filters - UV filter [to protect lens], Polarizing filter. Buy on Ebay at about 1/2 price of new. Down the road, try a Mooses Polarizing filter for great landscape colors [B&H].

3) Mic - I'd consider a Sennheiser ME64/k6. Less directional than a ME66, but lot shorter too. Get mic and a good shock mount at B&H. Personally, when I want better audio than the on cam mic, I use a Sennheiser wireless. $450 is a lot of money, but quality is outstanding and a lot better than an on cam mic in my opinion. On cam shotgunmics also pick up the audio behind your subject really well [normally not desireable].

You WILL need a Furry or softie for your mics to cut down on wind noise. The ME66 is particularly sensitive to wind. The foam cover won't cut it outdoors. Also, get a small furry for your on-cam mic.

4) Tripod - Look for a Monfrotto/Bogen unit. The Walmart tripods won't cut it long-term, but maybe suffice untill you can afford a good one.

5) Light - I use a Sony HDL-20DW2 10/20 Watt light. Uses the same size battery as your cam. Get new units off of Ebay at significant savings. That way you don't need to carry an extra charger for a different make light. It should be good for most casual work. For weddings, you might want/need more. But if you don't have the money right away, this is a nice light.

6) Spare Battery - The Np-F750 or 960 are most popular. Which one to get depends on how you plan to use the cam. I have both. Personally, I think the 960 is way overkill for most people. You can shoot all damn day and not wear it down. But the cost is the extra weight and it sticks out the back of the cam quite a bit. Personally, the 750 seems just right for general shooting. Lasts a LONG time, more compact. You have the battery than came with the cam for backup. If you do weddings, then you might want the 960.

FWIW, the small batt that came with your cam will power the 10W portion of the above mentioned video light, but NOT the 20W portion [too much drain]. If you think you'll use the 20W portion, you'll need the 550 (or whatever that size is). If you have 2 750's for example you can use one for the light when you need 20W. If you have one 750, you will have to use the supplied batt for the cam and the 750 for the light when you need 20W. Buy genuine Sony batteries off Ebay at 1/2 of retail price. I always buy batteries there.

7) Books - "Producing Great Audio For Digital Video" Book by Jay Rose. Audio is just as important to making a good video. This should be required reading for anyone who wants to get more serious about their video -- like you, Lee. Very educational. Plus, there's a wiring trick in there to help improve your cam's audio if you use a shotgun mic. Basically it involves putting a capacitor in an XLR jack. It covers just about every aspect of audio, and lots I never even thought about before. Available from Amazon.

8) XLR Adapter - I wouldn't get an XLR adapter right away unless you want to use two mics. Audio noise on VX2k is overblown. Start with the other accessories [above] first.

9) Misc - I got a Raynox semi-fisheye bayonet mount. It is a lot of fun. Also got through 47th St. Photo. Quite a bit cheaper than other places. I've had great luck with 47th St Photo. They're fast and have more than they list on Ebay if ya call them. Also, I'm looking to get a graduated "Tobbaco" filter for nice sunsets one of these days.

Check Ebay for accessories. Possible to save a ton over buying all brand new stuff.
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:30 AM   #6
Major Player

WOW MARK! Awsome info, just what I needed.
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:00 AM   #7
Trustee

I'd stay clear of no name wide angle adapters. Excellent to ok are Century Optics. Optex, Sony HG, Canon WD58, Kenko Pro and Raynox (In order) I wouldn't touch anything beneath these. Why put Coke bottle glass on a good camera? This of course is my opinion.

Hold off on the light, the on camera lights give that deer in the headlights look. With the VX2K they shouldn't be neceassary.

Do get a decent UV/protection filter. get a coated one if possible. Hoya is excellent. Tiffen is green glass and in m,y opinion greatly overpriced and over rated.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion