setting up Final Cut Pro for Sony VX2100 .dv acquisition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 15th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

setting up Final Cut Pro for Sony VX2100 .dv acquisition

can anyone direct me towards a thread that covers setting up FCP 5.0.1 to acquire DV from a Sony VX2100 specifically ?

looking for tips on:
1. Log and capture
2. basic post sequence setttings
3. export settings for upload to online video service providers, ie. youtube, myspace, vimeo, revver, etc
4. export for maximum quality for burning to disc

i have been searching here on dvinfo for specific FCP and VX2100 settings, but havent found what im looking for.

i just feel like im doing something wrong.

Im just now realizing that my VX does 16:9... ...the wrong way !! LOL

thanks.
Felipe Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Just use the NTSC 48khz Easy Setup to capture and edit.
For export, use Compressor and the QuickTime 7 Streaming setting at 800kbps for uploading. If the file is too big, use 300kbps.
The DVD settings are listed by length of the video, so what you want to do is get the closest setting without going over (like the Price is Right.) If you video is 60 minutes long, use the 90 minute setting. If the Video is 91 minutes long, use the 120 minute setting. And of course use Best Quality.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks ! well thats what i did for the log and capture settings, but i made my own called
"NTSC 48 Khz 16:9" cuz i check the 16:9 box.
but now that i know that the VX doesnt do 16:9 correctly im going to try some 4:3 with a letterbox matte from the SD slot.

no do i have to put in a "DE-INTERLACE" filter over the newly captured film ?

I noticed that in my sequence settings that when i dont select a field, upper or lower, the video looks better. is this because the VX captures intelaced video ??
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Major Player

NTSC is interlaced. Unless you have a camera that captures specifically 30p, 24p, or anything with a p after the frame rate, it will be interlaced. If you final delivery is web, you should probably de-interlace. If the final delivery is for TV, then don't, because TVs are interlaced.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

ahhhh, thanks !

so why is there a DE-Interlace filter ? if there is an option to do it when exporting?
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Wrangler

You probably should not use the FCP deinterlace filter for DV. It discards half of the information (every other scan line) and will make the image less sharp. There are 3rd party adaptive deinterlacers, such as Joe's Filters and Nattress which can do a better job if you want to pseudo-progressive.

Creating your own easy setup is fine, but you could have also used the Anamorphic DV settings which do the same thing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

yea, i saw that when i applied the de-interlace filter and selected NONE as in the field setting in the sequence settings that the video looked less crisp, but I havent had the time to determine whether it was the filter or the field selection.

but i will take your word for now and let you know later !

thanks alot !!!!
Felipe Gallego is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion